The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor

"Places have secrets too, I think. Like people. You just need to dig. In land, in life, in a man's soul."

Last year, I read and enjoyed C.J. Tudor's debut novel The Chalk Man. That book weaved alternating time periods and strong characters into a suspenseful and enthralling mystery. The Chalk Man immediately became one of my favorite reads of 2018 and left me anxiously waiting to read whatever Tudor came up with next. When her publisher offered me a copy of her next novel, The Hiding Place, I eagerly jumped on the chance to read it.

Joe Thorne is happy to be getting a fresh start. He struggles with alcohol, is a gambling addict, and was recently dismissed from his teaching job in a shroud of personal and professional disgrace. As he looks to create a new beginning for himself, Joe turns to the place where everything started last time. He never thought he'd come back to his hometown of Arnhill, but here he is. He's secured a teaching position at the same school he attended. The Arnhill Academy was so eager to find a teacher that they skimmed over most of Joe's checkered past. For better or worse, Joe is starting over.

Joe's predecessor at the academy was an unassuming single mother who shocked the town when she brutally murdered her young son and shot herself. Now Joe has taken her job and moved into the same cottage where the gruesome crime occurred. He's optimistic about this fresh shot at life. He's already stopped a bully from picking on a student, is getting along with his co-workers, and seems to be on the path to happiness. Life has other plans. The longer he stays in the town, the more he's realizing that things aren't as different as he hoped. In fact, the dark history of Arnhill that destroyed his life years ago seems to be repeating itself.

The Hiding Place, C.J. Tudor's sophomore novel sees the author's brilliant writing veer into much darker territory. While this novel shares many of the same themes as Tudor's debut (childhood trauma, community culture in a small town, etc.) it really pushes the author into new territory. One climactic flashback scene, in particular, left me emotionally shaken. Tudor deftly balances these bleak scenes with brisk pacing, detailed character development, and wit that surfaces at all the right moments. As she did in The Chalk Man, Tudor again employs flashbacks to both provide depth and backstory and to ramp up the suspense. Even a twist that seemed almost too familiar for this longtime fan of Stephen King couldn't detract from my overall satisfaction with this book. With The Hiding Place, C.J. Tudor proves that The Chalk Man was no fluke. She recently tweeted that her next novel is complete, and I'll be the first in line to give it a read!

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.
(2019, 6)

This entry was posted on Monday, February 18, 2019 and is filed under ,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

14 Responses to “The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor”

  1. I LOVED The Chalk Man, so I'm really glad to see that you enjoyed The Hiding Place. Hopefully I can get my hands on a copy soon!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved The Chalk Man too! She's already announced a third book releasing next year and I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. I loved Chalk Man, so this is on my list. I am so glad to see you enjoyed it..and darker is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see this one really got to you. I need a book to engage me. I'll be getting around to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one, too! It definitely had a Stephen King vibe, and the ending was right out of a SK guidebook, but maybe that's why I liked it. Can't wait for book 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her style draws pretty heavily upon the Stephen King playbook, not that it's a bad thing!

      Delete
  5. Hmm - so he takes the same job and house of someone who committed a terrible murder - nothing's going to go wrong there! Sounds like a great read. I remember The Chaulk Man but I never got around to reading it - still want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to put your logic aside a bit, but you get drawn in quickly. I think you'll really enjoy The Chalk Man!

      Delete
  6. I feel like Joe was just about playing with fire moving into the same house as the woman and taking her job. Your review really did pique my interest about this whereas before I was on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was playing with fire, but I think that was just part of his self-destructive personality.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.