Origin by Dan Brown

With only seven novels to his name, Dan Brown is one of the most-read authors of all time. His novel The Da Vinci Code became an instant bestseller, a worldwide phenomenon, and cemented his Robert Langdon series as must read fiction. Following that smash hit, Brown's next two novels were met with a more mixed reaction. Hollywood even skipped an adaptation of The Lost Symbol in favor of the better-reviewed Inferno. Complaints aside, there is no denying Brown's ability to engage a wide audience with his fiction. Having read each of his other novels, it was only a matter of time before I would pick up his latest, Origin.

Edmond Kirsch is about to announce a discovery that he believes will change the world. The billionaire futurist is known for his revolutionary and often controversial inventions and innovations, but his latest is set to be his most impactful. The eccentric futurist has been working on the age-old questions, "Where do we come from and where are we going?". Finally, Kirsch believes he has the answers. Before he presents his revelations to the world, he consults with three leaders of the world's main religions, each of who is certain that Kirsch's breakthrough threatens thousands of years of theology.

Robert Langdon is brimming with anticipation for Kirsch's announcement. Kirsch was one of Langdon's students, and the two have cultivated a long friendship built upon their mutual intellect. Kirsch has partnered with the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao to host his unique presentation and has promised that Langdon will share an integral part in it. The interactive demonstration begins with the precision and spectacle that Kirsch excels at, but things soon take a tragic turn. With the entire world tuned in, Kirsch's evening turns to complete pandemonium. With chaos surrounding him, Langdon must step in and work to ensure Kirsch's discovery is not lost forever.

Critics of Dan Brown will say that all of his books follow a similar narrative formula, are too far-fetched, and come off as pretentious. There is certainly truth to each of these complaints, but I feel like those naysayers miss the point. At the outset, Origin teases a revelation that has earth-shattering ramifications. Brown is writing about big topics and ideas, specifically the battle between science and religion and where the two intersect. It is this very big thinking that made his early books so much fun to read. Sure, the odds of one man being involved in five controversial and history challenging situations is a bit unbelievable, but in suspending our disbelief we are taken along one heck of a ride. I'd argue that this is the first novel since The Da Vinci Code to actually deliver on its promise. More so, the topics that help drive the drama of this book are all more timely than ever. While Origin will never pass for high-brow literature, it certainly succeeds as a page-turning thriller that will keep you enthralled and make you ponder its themes long after the last page. 

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.
(2019, 7)




This entry was posted on Friday, March 8, 2019 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

20 Responses to “Origin by Dan Brown”

  1. I've read the first two Robert Langdon books and enjoyed them thoroughly. Sometimes, I think, a book is so good that it's hard to remember that it's fiction until something in the story causes that abrupt reminder. I love how Brown does 'what if's stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those first two too! If you enjoyed them, you should definitely check out the others. They're pure fun!

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize he's written 7 books! I've only read The Da Vinci Code.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think his books are fun. All the conspiracy theories and twisting of facts. I always walk away smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these things too, but I didn't think 'Origin' was quite as engaging as 'Inferno.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning of this one had a lot of exposition and history talk, but I felt it didn't rely on a formula as much as Inferno did.

      Delete
  5. Hm...I don't think Dan Brown is my cup of tea. Great review!
    Deanna Reads Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I still have to read The Davinci Code.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read any of his books, but that's great you really enjoyed this one. And I think it's fine to suspend disbelief when reading sometimes. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for reminding me of this! I love Dan Brown's books, and I love this series. I have read the first four. I have to get to this one. SOme people call him formulaic and that's fine for me because I always learn SO MUCH when I read his books!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that I had to Wikipedia several of the locations and works of art lol. Have you read any of the illustrated versions? They really add to the whole experience!

      Delete
    2. His books always compel me to Google things. I love that about him. Had no idea there were illustrated versions!

      Delete
    3. They are worth a re-read if you can find a copy!

      Delete
  9. That is quite a big topic to tackle. I actually had a pastor, who's undergraduate degree was in some science field, and he would do talks about where religion and science meet. I feel like I should read a Dan Brown book, because he writes about stuff that would interest me, and like you said, he's one of the most read out there. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't really dwell into religion until Angels and Demons, but all of his books are solid thrillers and quick reads!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.