Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

With the Texas heat reaching record highs this week, I've fully embraced summer reading mode. Although I read various genres year-round, this is the season when I crave quick, twisty novels that I can devour in a few sittings. This week, I've turned to Janelle Brown's 2020 hit, Pretty Things, to satisfy that craving. The novel delivers with alternating perspectives, captivating drama, and a pace that keeps you turning pages late into the night.

Nina finds herself disillusioned with her life. Despite doing everything right—attending college, earning a liberal arts degree, and avoiding her con artist mother's mistakes—she's nowhere near where she thought she’d be. Now, to make ends meet, Nina and her Irish boyfriend Lachlan have resorted to a life of crime, stealing from wealthy LA kids. It’s not the dream life she imagined, but it’s getting her by. When her mother falls ill, Nina is driven to take a huge risk. She decides to put everything on the line to pull off her most intricate and dangerous scam yet, all to help her ailing mom.

Vanessa is grappling with her own form of disillusionment. As a wealthy heiress, she once aimed to make a meaningful impact and leave a lasting legacy. Instead, she has become ensnared in the superficial world of Instagram, traveling the globe, receiving free clothes and products, and posing for pictures in exotic locales. Beneath this enviable facade, however, lies a life marked by tragedy. Seeking solace, Vanessa retreats to her family’s sprawling estate, Stonehaven. There, she will confront the dark secrets of her past, secrets that are destined to intertwine with Nina’s life.

Pretty Things marks the third time I’ve read a book by Janelle Brown, and it reaffirms why I’m so captivated by her writing. She excels at creating characters who blur the line between empathy and abhorrence, making them complex and engaging throughout their journeys. By alternating perspectives between characters, Brown provides readers with deep insights into their motivations while gradually unveiling their true intentions. This technique infuses the story with a profound sense of uncertainty, which drives the book’s pacing.

While the novel initially takes time to establish its characters and main plot, by the halfway point, I was completely hooked. The twists and turns along the way are both shocking and seamlessly integrated into the storyline. Overall, Pretty Things delivers another compelling summer read from an author who continues to impress with her unique storytelling.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 43)

This entry was posted on Friday, May 31, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

24 Responses to “Pretty Things by Janelle Brown”

  1. I'm always drawn to quick, snappy reads in the summer months, too! Wonder why that is? I've got several Janelle Brown books on my TBR, but I haven't managed to pick on up yet--maybe this summer will be the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both quick and clever, so they make for great summer reads!

      Delete
  2. Summer always makes me want to immerse myself in quick, twisty thrillers, too. Several of Brown's books appeal to me. Between Watch Me Disappear, I'll Be You and this one, which is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch Me Disappear was my first read from her, and it is easily my favorite!

      Delete
  3. The heat is horrible, isn't it? I should be used to it by now, but despite living in Texas my whole life, I'm never prepared, lol.
    I haven't read anything by this author yet, but this book sounds like the perfect summer read. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived here my whole life too, and nothing prepares me for the brutal heat!

      Delete
  4. Great review, Ethan! I am glad you enjoyed the story, despite the slow build.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely heating up. It was 104F here today in Las Vegas.
    I'm glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to find a bunch of thrillers at the start of summer to get me caught up, so this one sounds like it will do to be added to the stack. I am 20 books behind on my Goodreads Challenge, and thrillers help me get caught up and get ahead. I ALWAYS fal behind at the end of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have time now, so I have no doubt you'll catch up in no time!

      Delete
    2. Oh, for sure. I am getting so much blogging and reading in while Eleanor has to go to her father's house. She also has to go with him for a week for a summer vacation, and while I hate when she is away from me for so long, I will have plenty to occupy my time and distract me until she is home again!

      This book just came in for me so I am picking it up this afternoon. Yay!

      Delete
    3. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it!

      Delete
    4. Picked it up yesterday afternoon. It will get read pretty quickly, because I need all the fiction I can get right now.

      Delete
  7. You hit the nail on the head for why I can often muster up some empathy for some fairly terrible characters. It's because the author did a great job selling me on why they turned out this way. Sorry to hear you are already feeling the heat of summer but glad you are finding some great summer reads to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really get behind those conflicted characters. The weather here has been bananas lately! In the last month we've had rain, hail, tornados, flooding, and now unbearable heat. It is going to be an interesting summer!

      Delete
  8. "She excels at creating characters who blur the line between empathy and abhorrence, making them complex and engaging throughout their journeys."
    Not every author can pull it off, can they? The grey area is so interesting, but it takes skill not to have your readers despise your flawed characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That balance is a tricky thing to achieve without alienating your reader.

      Delete
  9. Color me curious...I haven't tried this author, but you've made me earmark her list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like twisty mystery/thrillers for the summer season, too. Although, TBH, I like them any time of year, lol. I'm curious about how Nina and Vanessa's stories intersect. I'll have to try this author out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I read them year round, but the summer months usually see me ramp that up a bit.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.