You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

Last year I read The Wife Between Us, a twisty thriller that used all the conventions of the genre to string the reader along and play with traditional expectations. Writing duo Hendricks and Pekkanen absolutely exceeded my expectations and left me longing to read more from them. I made a note to be on the lookout for more from the pair. As often happens, other books distracted me, and my experience reading The Wife Between Us soon became a distant memory. Fast forward to this week, and I found myself scrolling through the list of available audiobooks from my local library. When I saw You Are Not Alone, the latest from Hendricks and Pekkanen, I jumped at the chance to read another thriller from these talented authors. 

To say that Shay Miller's life is not going according to plan would be a huge understatement. She is recently unemployed, turning to random temp jobs to make ends meet. Her roommate/best friend entered into a new relationship that leaves him physically and emotionally occupied on most days. Shay is pretty sure he'll be moving in with his girlfriend soon. To top it all off, Shay just witnessed a horrific suicide on the New York subway. The young woman looked directly into her eyes before she jumped onto the tracks. 

Shay is haunted by that final moment. She can't seem to clear the image of that woman looking at her from her mind. Inspired by a bit of guilt and the longing to put that tragic moment behind her, Shay looks up the accident and discovers the name of that girl. Before she knows it, she is attending the girl's funeral, taking in the view of her mourners. Before she is able to leave the service unnoticed, Shay is confronted by a group of the late woman's friends. She panics and concocts a story about how she knew the woman, and the friends seem to buy it. United by shared grief, Shay becomes a member of this friend group. Little does she know, the friends may have more nefarious plans for their newest addition. 

You Are Not Alone has all the makings of a fine thriller. The main character teeters precariously on the line of reliable and not. As readers, we are in on the twist much earlier than Shay is, but that doesn't deter us from the suspense. In fact, knowing that Shay is walking directly into a trap only heightened my paranoia and had me rushing through the pages. Hendricks and Pekkanen layer in commentary about loneliness and reliance on others in a way that adds some much-needed depth to their characters. All that said, I still felt as if there was something missing from this book that was present in their others. I can't quite discern if the plot was just a bit too unbelievable, or if the characters weren't as enticing. Suffice it to say, You Are Not Alone left me with the feeling that I was missing something. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2020, 43)

This entry was posted on Friday, September 25, 2020 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

30 Responses to “You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen”

  1. I've heard such good things about The Wife Between Us it's too bad that this newest book fell a little short. Maybe their next one will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This writing duo has a short story (The Getaway) up on Audible that I might listen to after hearing your praise. Sorry to hear this one wasn't quite as good as The Wife Between Us. It does sound like an interesting story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this didn't quite live up to your expectations, but it sounded as though it was entertaining at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was an entertaining thriller, just not at the level of their other work.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by these authors, but you know I love me a good thriller, so I'll have to check them out. I've been reading so many, though, that they all kind of run together and most of them seem to be missing something, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like this was still a solid thriller and novel, but will not end up becoming a favourite from the dup because it's missing just that little something. Sometimes that just happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this may have been a case where my expectations were just set very high. I still enjoyed it though.

      Delete
  6. Looks like were exchanging good thrillers this week! I'll add this one to my TBR, because I love it when you don't know if the main character is reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds good even if you were left feeling something was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am adding this one and The Wife Between Us to my hold requests at the library. I do love an unreliable narrator!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think you'll have fun with both of them!

      Delete
  9. I know you felt like there was something missing here, but I like this premise, and the friends sort of trying to absorb Shay into their world. Your review certainly piqued my curiosity esp as readers know the twist and can’t stop Shay from walking into a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like it had the potential to be fantastic but just a fell a little short however it does sound like it’s worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not mad that I read it by any means, but yes, it definitely felt like something was missing.

      Delete
  11. I have the first book and look forward to diving into it. I am bummed that this was missing that something-something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't all be perfect winners haha. I think you'll still have a good time with both!

      Delete
  12. Despite it not living up to the previous novel - it seems like a decent thriller.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as The Wife Between Us, but I'm happy it still kept you turning the pages! I love unreliable narrators in stories, and I think they give the book an excellent twist. Have you read I Killed Zoe Spanos? It was great until the end... it just kind of tapered off for some reason.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one, but I'll definitely look it up now!

      Delete
  14. Glad that you still enjoyed this one and are looking forward to more from the writing duo! It sounds like they write great thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really solid in both of the books I've read so far!

      Delete
  15. I wasn't a big fan of The Wife Between Us but have wondered if I should give this writing pair another chance. I am kind of on the fence with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked The Wife Between Us more than this one, so I'm not sure if this one would work for you. Sorry I'm not more helpful haha.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.