41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush

With the US Presidential Inauguration now behind us, I thought it would be the perfect time to read a book about a former president. In 41: A Portrait of My Father, former President George W. Bush writes an overview on the life of his father, the late President George H. W. Bush. I was immediately drawn to the historical significance of this work. The Bush family is only the second family in history to produce two US Presidents. Having the perspective of both son and a former president gives George W. an unprecedented insight into the life of his father. Less a political study and more a commentary on the man himself, 41 provides an intimate portrait of the Bush family patriarch.

As a biography, there's little surprise in either structure or content in this writing. The story of George Bush unfolds linearly, starting from his humble childhood and progressing across time. Like most men of the era, a strong family unit and fervent faith created the foundation on which the future statesmen would build his life. The early portion of this book reads almost like something out of a folk tale. I'm sure that the basis of this retelling is founded on truth, but I couldn't help but feel as if it was all a bit too perfect. I imagine that the author heard these stories from his parents throughout his own upbringing, so they take on the kind of second-hand feel of any story that was passed down from person to person. Still, the lessons that his mother instilled in him as a child would be the same principles that would guide the elder Bush throughout his life. "Do your best. Don't be arrogant. Never complain."

The book takes on a different tone as the author clearly begins writing from his own lived experiences with his father. You can't help but sense the pure admiration that George W. Bush possesses for both of his parents. Grounded by his unwavering faith in religion, country, and family George H. W. Bush approached each part of his life with quiet dignity. This duty to uphold the values he most cherished saw the man through fighting in a war, raising a family, facing the tragedy of losing a child, and shouldering the massive responsibility of running the country. Even after the crushing defeat in his bid for a second presidential term, George Bush conducted himself with the kind of decorum that seems nearly impossible in the current political climate.

This is not the average presidential biography. George W. Bush focuses as much on the quiet family moments that he clearly cherishes as he does the high-stakes political events that history will remember the men for. This can sometimes give the work an unevenness that readers of more traditional political writing may find jarring. Politics aside, I found the intimate nature of this writing to be refreshing. Bush Sr. never wrote his own presidential memoir, so this is the closest thing we will ever have to an inside look into his life. As most sons would write about their fathers, George W. often oversimplifies the governmental blunders and noble intentions of the late president. He paints a portrait of a man driven by the intention of doing right by the country he devoted his professional life to serving and the family he loves. As a political biography, the book is far from perfect. As a love letter from a son to his father, however, 41: A Portrait of My Father strikes all the right notes.

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.

(2021, 4)

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 23, 2021 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush”

  1. I am not surprised to see that this book has a special feel to it. It's nice when someone who liked you writes a biography about you, never mind someone who loved you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the thing that really helps this one stand out. You can feel the love he has for his father.

      Delete
  2. This is one I'd really like to read some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an interesting book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review. While I didn't always agree with some of Bush's political policies, you have to admire him and his oldest son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the way they carried themselves is something to be appreciated, regardless of politics.

      Delete
  5. I think this would be an interesting read. I didn't really care for George W. while he was president, but I have to say in comparison to the joke they just got rid of he was a saint! I have to say my opinion of GWB went up even more when he appeared at the inauguration with Clinton and Obama. The grace each of those presidents showed when handing over power to the next president is in such start contrast from what we witnessed a few days ago. Really for the last few months. I'm happy GWB was able to honor his father with fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the unifying factor, love for country and respect for each other. It is so nice to have a president who actually believes and practices those values again.

      Delete
  6. I don't tend to pick up political books. I am not really sure why. This one sounds different though. The author had a strong bond and unique perspective since they both held an office that few will achieve. I think that the quieter family moments would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've historically not been one to read political books either, especially after the last 4 years. But I do think it is important to read and understand the perspectives of the people who lead or have been part of our government.

      Delete
  7. I think I’d enjoy this, I’ve Barack Obama’s book to read too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it can be tricky when a family members writes a biography (or sorts) because it can veer into idolatry. But here it seems like simple, and honest admiration. I didn't always agree with Bush's policies but there was no denying that he was a a revered family man with great intentions who lived a life of service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I think that you definitely have to keep in mind who is writing this as you read it, but I feel it still provides an interesting perspective on his life.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.