Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins

One of the first must-read books of 2021 was Rachel Hawkin's novel The Wife Upstairs. That buzzy domestic thriller was the kind of popcorn read that begged to be read in one sitting. The plot veered a bit too far into the unbelievable for my tastes, but I couldn't help but be sucked into the wild story that Hawkins concocted. This year Hawkins is back with another twisty thriller, Reckless Girls. I jumped at the chance to accept a copy of the audio version of the work from her publisher in exchange for this review. What I found was another wild narrative that completely drew me in from start to finish. 

Hawkins trades the suburban setting of her previous work in favor of a tropical paradise in this one. We meet Lux McAllister in Maui where she's living the not so glamourous life as a housekeeper in one of the island's luxury resorts. This isn't the life she dreamed of when she moved to the island, but she has come a long way from her meager life before. Lux's boyfriend Nico comes from a completely different background. His wealthy family has ensured that Nico has never lived without. Still, the young man is more interested in living a life of independence, spending his days tending to a ramshackle boat that he purchased than he is in continuing his family's legacy. Unfortunately for Nico, this means the gravy train may be slowly drying up. 

The couple's transient lifestyle is further threatened when Lux loses her job. Nico, however, may have the perfect answer to their troubles. Brittany and Amma, two young women who have been traveling together in search of adventure, have chartered Nico's boat for a trip to the infamous Meroe Island. The remote isle has a dark past dating back to WWII, a reputation that continues to deter regular travelers to this day. Lux and Nico share a brief hesitance in traveling to the island, especially with two strangers, but the money the girls offer them is too good to pass up. The foursome soon travels to the isolated island, destined for either the vacation or nightmare of a lifetime. 

As she did in her previous novel, Rachel Hawkins employs shifting perspectives and jumping timelines to tightly wind the suspense in Reckless Girls. She reveals just enough information to keep the narrative moving while never fully showing her cards until the last possible moment. I was a bit apprehensive about the tropical paradise gone awry story, but I couldn't help but be pulled into it. Each of the characters is hiding something. Hawkins strings us along as they all work to maintain their own secrets. As was the case in her previous novel, there isn't really a traditionally "good" character in the bunch. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't invested in their story, especially as the different perspectives and timelines came together. Barrie Kreinik's pitch-perfect narration captures all of the deceit as the novel propels to a devilishly twisted ending. There's an epilogue to the book that, in my opinion, didn't need to be there, but otherwise, Reckless Girls is a fantastic popcorn read that is sure to be another must-read thriller from Rachel Hawkins. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 1)


This entry was posted on Monday, January 3, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

24 Responses to “Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins”

  1. Isolated islands sure make for awesome settings in books like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting really enhances this one. It did feel a bit strange to read about the tropics in early January though. Part of me feels this would make an even better summer read.

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea. I should start a summer reading list and put this title at the top. I'm always looking for a fun popcorn read about then. :)

      Delete
    3. This kind of book becomes my go-to during that season.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to try my first Hawkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to be proficient across multiple genres. I enjoyed this thriller much more than her previous one!

      Delete
  3. I have read all of Hawkins' YA books and her PNR under her Sterling name, but I have yet to sample her domestic thrillers. Sounds like she does that well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like talent is talent regardless of genre!

      Delete
  4. I sometimes struggle when there isn't a "good" protagonist that I can connect with but even so, this sounds like a definite page turner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. Thankfully the plot really drives this one.

      Delete
  5. Belated congratulations on ten years Ethan!! And this latest review is a great start to 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember adding The Wife Upstairs to my TBR and this one sounds so good too! Adding it to the never ending TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both reliable for quick and exciting reads, though I did prefer this one a bit more.

      Delete
  7. It's great when you still feel compelled to follow a character even if they are tough to root for. I struggle with that but have found a few good ones lately and it sounds like this did it well too.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like unreliable or flawed characters have become the norm in thrillers, so I always appreciate when I actually find something to latch onto in them.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this author but this book sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review, Ethan! I agree, not one of the characters were traditionally "good", I was rooting for Lux, though. And if I'm honest, for Brittany and Eliza, too. I think it could've ended a little differently and I would've been happier, but I like the way it turned out enough. It was a page-turner, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am kind of on the fence with this one. It does sound like it was quite a page turner. It sounds like audio might be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from a few others who read the book that they wish they had done the audio.

      Delete
  11. Wasn't it such a fun read?? I loved it so much, so much more than Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I didn't have the highest hopes for it after not really loving Wife, but this one was pure fun.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.