Stay Awake by Megan Goldin

It finally happened. After nearly 3 years of dodging the proverbial bullet, I finally tested positive for COVID-19 last week. It took me about a week to overcome the worst symptoms, and I thankfully only have a lingering nasty cough. However, one benefit to being forced to isolate is that I've had ample time to catch up on reading. Megan Goldin's novels The Escape Room and The Night Swim were some of the best thrillers that I read in their respective years of release. This put her newest book Stay Awake, out today, among my most anticipated reads this year. Lucky for me, Goldin's publisher generously provided me with a copy of Stay Awake to review. I found the work to be the perfect form of escapism as I suffered through the worst symptoms of this illness. 

Liv Reese awakes in the back of a taxi having more questions than answers. Her amnesia is only further pronounced as she steps up to the door of her apartment and is greeted by strangers. Who are these people in her home? The tenants seem as confused as she is, and they quickly close the door. Liv goes into her pocket to retrieve her phone but instead pulls out a knife covered in blood. Her phone is nowhere to be found. Liv's hands are adorned with hastily scribbled messages like a random phone number, "Don't open the door", and most startling "STAY AWAKE". 

Incoming homicide detective Darcy Halliday has been partnered with department veteran Jack Lavelle. Beyond the usual newcomer/veteran dynamic at play, the pairs' boss has tasked Lavelle with vetting Halliday for future promotions. Halliday has a history of working for the state department, a past that is understandably shrouded in mystery. Halliday and Lavelle don't have much time to get to know each other before they are called to the scene of a gruesome murder. The brutal stabbing would be bad enough, but it is the message scrawled on the window of the room in the victim's blood that chills everyone to their core. STAY AWAKE!

Megan Goldin is fast becoming known for her ability to produce compelling standalone thrillers, and Stay Awake further cements that status. She's crafted the perfect unreliable narrator in a character who loses her short-term memory each time that she sleeps. The novel alternates perspectives between this woman who is attempting to compile the events that lead her to this point with that of the detectives investigating a murder in which she is the prime suspect. Goldin sprinkles in flashbacks to her protagonist's past, giving the reader insight into the person she used to be. This provides some much-needed depth to a character who is otherwise stuck in a repetitive loop of insomnia and paranoia. The short chapters and fast pace make this the kind of can't-put-it-down read that I've come to expect from Goldin. I did see the ending coming well before the big reveal, but it did little to deter my enjoyment of getting to that point. Stay Awake is another solid thriller from an author who is already one of my go-to writers in the genre. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 33)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

22 Responses to “Stay Awake by Megan Goldin”

  1. I have predicted that everyone will get it at least once. Glad you had a pretty quick recovery. I never mind if the story is predictable as long as I am entertained. Sounds like this was another win for you which is always a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you may be correct. I was one of the last people at work who hadn't got it yet, so it was definitely time.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better. I had Covid back in January and I had it for a month. I hope I don't get it again. At least you were able to read a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A month?! I'm glad you made it through that and hope you steer clear of it going forward!

      Delete
  3. This looks so good. I think I have the Escape Room in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that you have had to deal with Covid. This sounds like something that I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling much better. I think you'd really like her writing!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you got Covid! I'd really like to avoid getting it, but you never know. At least you had a good book to read through the worst of it. Hope you feel 100% soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it almost three years! Thankfully I'm feeling much better, but I definitely wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

      Delete
  6. I love reading thriller series, but a good standalone every now and then is great too! Adding this to my GR TBR. Hope you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read too much to invest fully into a series, so I actually prefer standalones. Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  7. I've read one other book by this author and I remember enjoying it. This one has been on my tbr for a few weeks now so I'm eager to read it!
    I'm sorry you got the 'vid! I got it in May and it was brutal. I was mostly in bed until I got done some hydrotherapy treatments that did wonders!

    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're feeling better, Ethan! I enjoyed The Night Swim, too. This sounds pretty exciting and an original premise. I'll have to see if they have an audio copy at my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Night Swim is still my favorite from her, but this one is quite good!

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear that Covid hit, Ethan. Hopefully your husband managed to stay well? The premise of this one is kind of jaw dropping: the amnesia, the strange people at her home, the bloody knife, and the messages. Ack! Mystery thrillers aren't something I'm typically drawn to, but I have to admit that I am pretty intrigued by this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes. He ended up testing positive too, but thankfully his symptoms remained fairly mild.

      Delete
  10. Night Swim was such a standout read for me -- and now reading this, I NEED this book! She has such a talent for standalone thrillers ! (Glad to hear you're feeling better too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is a bit more plot driven thriller than The Night Swim was, but it is still quite good!

      Delete
  11. I definitely want to read this one! I loved The Night Swim. That sucks you were down with Covid - hope you are feeling much better now!!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful to have made a full recovery!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.