The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochrun

I was pretty disappointed by the last thriller I read, so I decided my next read needed to be completely different. My bookstagram buddy Jonathan (@rainbow.readerjsw) recommended Alison Cochrun's debut novel The Charm Offensive as a cute queer romance. I figured that was about as different from a thriller as I would probably find, so I made it my next read. It was exactly the change of pace I needed! The book reinvigorated my exuberance with reading, thoroughly pulling me from the edges of my potential reading slump. 

At his core, Dev is a romantic. So much so, in fact, that he finds himself as a producer on the hit reality TV show, Ever After. Dev has made a career of crafting the perfect fairy tale romance, the kind of manufactured love story that draws millions of viewers in with each new season of the show. Despite his expertise, Dev's personal life has no sign of romance. In fact, he finds himself on the outside of yet another unsuccessful relationship, this time with his producing partner Ryan. As much as he wanted the coupling to succeed, the relationship fell apart into an irredeemable vat of toxicity. Worse, Dev now has to face seeing his ex daily at work. This has the makings of a very long season. 

On the outside, Charlie looks like the perfect Prince Charming. He has the kind of hunky good looks that are sure to make the women and viewers swoon. As filming begins it becomes clear that appearance will only get Charlie so far. You see, he's a rich tech tycoon who was recently ousted from the very company he devoted his life to creating. Charlie doesn't believe in true love. He's only agreed to do the show in order to rehabilitate his public image. When the cameras roll, the would-be prince is crippled with anxiety, stunted into an awkward mess of a man, not the kind of person that fairytales are made of. That's where Dev comes in. He's tasked with turning this aloof doubter into the man of everyone's dreams. 

There's something irresistible about Alison Cochrun's writing in The Charm Offensive. She imagines a love story unfolding amongst the artificial version of love that is presented in a reality show akin to The Bachelor. There's a classic opposite attract angle to the romance that is given a fresh twist by the romance occurring between two men. While the main plot unravels much as you would expect it to, Cochrun elevates the material by peppering deeper thoughts around coming to terms with sexuality and coping with mental illness. I found her treatment of the latter to be one of the most impactful parts of the entire work. The Charm Offensive hits all of the right emotional notes, sticking to the formula while offering just enough deviations to stand above similar fare. This is a feel-good read that isn't afraid to go deeper. Cochrun has a holiday-themed romance dropping next month, so I'm happy to say that I'm now eagerly anticipating that release too. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 42)

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 29, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

24 Responses to “The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochrun”

  1. Replies
    1. Have you read this one? If not I think you'd really dig it!

      Delete
  2. I've seen many good things about this on bookstagram and I'm so glad you loved it! I'm ready to add it to my TBR now.

    Was looking for a lovely holiday read, so maybe I will keep my eyes open for that release as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new one is going on my list for December!

      Delete
  3. Aww that makes me feel bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough situation, but it makes for a great start to a romance!

      Delete
  4. So glad this one ended up being such a fun change of pace for you. It does sound like a great read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was everything I was needing. The perfect thing before diving into another thriller.

      Delete
  5. It's so nice that the switch in genres helped you out of a book slump and reignited your passion for reading! It does sound like cute romance with a nice amount of depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exactly what I was looking for as a change in pace. Now I'm finishing up another thriller haha.

      Delete
  6. I do prefer thrillers over romance, but this looks like a good one!

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I rarely read romance, so I was glad this was a hit!

      Delete
  7. Yay..this sounds delightful and sometimes a change of genre is just the change you need. I followed your friend as they gave great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always has a great recommendation for an LGBTQ+ author or story!

      Delete
  8. I have a copy of this one on my shelf and I hope to get to it soon. Romance can be the perfect change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fee-good with substance is the perfect type of read for me. Glad to hear this one saved you from slumping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't always read a romance, but when I do this is the kind I really enjoy.

      Delete
  10. Your comments about mental illness in what otherwise looks like a wonderful romance caught my attention -- and piqued my interest about this gem considerably -- great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to read and enjoy it too!

      Delete
  11. I'm late in commenting, but when I saw you had reviewed The Charm Offensive I got a big smile on my face. This was one of my favorite reads of 2021. I loved what Cochrun did with these characters and I found myself thinking about them long after the story ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped in. I remember reading your review of it last year! Have you read her new one yet? It's on my TBR.

      Delete
    2. I wavered on requesting an arc and finally didn't, but I'm excited about picking it up when it releases next month!

      Delete
    3. I'm in the same boat. I decided not to request the ARC (I just have too many already on my pile), but I'm eager to read it when it comes out!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.