In the House in the Dark of the Woods by Laird Hunt

October is here, bringing my favorite time of the year. The humidity of the South Texas summer has given way to a slight crispness in the air, the perfect weather to curl up with a light blanket and a good book. With the spooky season finally upon us, I've decided to pepper in some horror reads among the other books on my TBR list. Laird Hunt's 2018 novel In the House in the Dark of the Woods recently caught my eye at my local library. It promised an "indigenous horror story set in Colonial New England," a premise I couldn't pass up. At a little over 200 pages, I hoped the book would be a quick start to my seasonal reading. 

The world outside is strange and wonderful, dark and foreboding. The woman leaves her man and boy to enter the woods in search of berries. She becomes lost amongst the trees, encountering bizarre places and people along the way. What secrets do these dark woods hold? The woman's duty to her family beckons her forward, her desire to find her way home forcing her through situations she would never have dreamed of. Fantasy and reality blend together into a dark fairy tale that will leave the woman forever changed by the things she encounters. 

In the House in the Dark of the Woods is a peculiar read, something more akin to a folktale than horror in the literal sense. Think Lewis Carrol's Wonderland mixed with Hansel and Gretel. Lair Hunt's lyrical prose enraptured me from the start, but I struggled to invest in the story he portrayed. There's no real sense of direction to the novel. Instead, we bear witness to one woman encountering oddity after oddity. What began as an intriguing setup brimming with a dark undertone gave way to an annoyance that nothing of real consequence seemed to be happening. Even after reading the entire book, I still can't say with confidence that I fully understand what exactly happened. The atmosphere is certainly creepy, but In the House in the Dark of the Woods offers little else. 

For more information visit Amazon and Goodreads

(2022, 44)

This entry was posted on Monday, October 10, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “In the House in the Dark of the Woods by Laird Hunt”

  1. I was going to say it had a folklore vibe and you nailed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had all the right vibes, but the story just never worked for me.

      Delete
  2. I kind of do wonder what a slight crisp in the air means there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it means mornings at about 70 and afternoons in the low 90s. Just enough temperature fluctuation to to really mess with my allergies haha.

      Delete
  3. Atmosphere and lyrical prose are great, but I really need some plot and something at stake for the characters, with something of consequence happening along the way. Sorry this one fell short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what was missing in this one. There were no real stakes.

      Delete
  4. Creepy can only sustain a horror plot so long. Doesn't even sound like much of a plot either. Bummer. I do love a good horror/mystery this time of year too!

    Happy to hear there's a bit of a chill in the air in Texas. I hope it's not totally hot and humid for our visit. We're flying into Austin. It'll be my first time to that city. I haven't seen much of Texas. Only been to Dallas for a work conference. I'm excited to see the Hill Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hill Country is one of my favorite areas in the state. Hope you enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  5. South Texas? I'm from central Texas! How cool. I'm still waiting for it to be lower than 80 here. I'm reading horror/thriller all of October and this one looks right up my alley!

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm in The Woodlands, just north of Houston. It is finally supposed to be much cooler this week!

      Delete
  6. It's still around 90 here. I am hoping it will cool down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean, wasn't the intention of many folk tales to keep the kids in line? They were kind of scary, just not in the blood and gore way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's true. I would have enjoyed this one more if it had a clearer story or lesson. After all, that's what makes a good folk tale memorable.

      Delete
  8. I can't ddecide if I would find this a frustrating read or an absolutely incredible one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was frustrated. Just too meandering with no real arrival.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.