Spare by Prince Harry

I've gone and done it. I gave in and listened to the buzziest book of the year, Spare by Prince Harry. My familiarity with the British Royal Family is perhaps a bit more than the average American. My partner is a self-proclaimed Anglophile, so I've been subject to hours of facts and tidbits that I'd be otherwise ignorant of. The drama surrounding Prince Harry's decision to leave the professional side of his very public family created great waves in the press and in my living room. Still, I was on the fence about reading his memoir. I wasn't sure that I really cared all that much to hear from him. Against my better judgment, I gave into the hype machine around his book and decided to listen to it. 

I won't attempt to summarize the details of Harry's story here. As someone who has spent the entirety of his life in the public eye, the basic details of his life are already well documented. Weeks before the memoir was officially published, some of the more salacious revelations in the book were leaked to the press. As is usually the case, the carefully culled quotes were blown mostly out of proportion. Nestled here amongst the proper context, there's nothing as obscene as it was made to appear. What we are left with is one man's attempt to set the record straight. Harry seems compelled to tell his side of the story, in his own words. Listening to him narrate the audio version of the book only amplified the connection I felt to his life. 

Harry's life is one shrouded in grief. Greif at his mother's tragic death, an event that the young prince was never allowed to fully deal with. In fact, that was probably the biggest takeaway I got from his book. Harry is still navigating the trauma that he faced at a young age. For years, he couldn't even bring himself to accept the fact that his mother was dead. He dreamed of her returning from hiding, ready to whisk him away from his life in the public eye to a place where they could be a family again. Alas, it wasn't until adulthood that Harry began to come to terms with the loss of Diana. Along with his brother, Harry used the royal family's resources to look at unpublished photos from the horrific crash that killed their mother, once and for all confirming that she was truly gone. 

As I come away from Spare, I'm struck by two competing frames of mind. On the one hand, Harry has been tormented by a ruthless press and a system of monarchy that has left his family complicit in this harassment. On the other, I can't shake his claims of wanting to tell his side of the story as a way to bridge the rift with his family with the way he airs the dirty laundry of that family for the entire world to read about. I'm happy he's able to speak his truth, but I question his motivations. I have no doubt that the accusations he lobbies against the royal family and especially the British media are true. On the same token, I do believe that his family, especially his father the king, and brother the future king, are beholden to a system that they may have less control over than we think. That still doesn't excuse their behavior. Both things can be true. Ultimately, Spare achieves what Prince Harry intends it to. It is a fascinating, often frustrating look into a world that the general public is rarely given access to. You can make your own judgment as to the value of that access. 

For more information visit Amazon and Goodreads

(2023, 9)

This entry was posted on Monday, February 20, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Spare by Prince Harry”

  1. I don't follow the ins and outs of the monarchy, but I have to say I have been tempted to listen to his story and requested the audio from my library. I was astounded by the number of books bought by them and the number waiting to read/listen to it. I'm sure his story is compelling, but as you've noted there are two sides to every story. It does break my heart that he lost his mother so publicly and violently so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is selling like crazy. I am glad that he is donating his portions of profits from the book to charity!

      Delete
  2. I'm probably not going to read this one; I have mixed feelings about it. I totally agree that Harry has every right to tell his story, but I don't always like the way he chooses to do it so publicly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what has me troubled about this one. I can't reconcile the fact that he says he wants to rebuild the relationship with his family with the way he as so publicly shared their business. It is his story to tell, but I don't know that now is the right time to tell it.

      Delete
  3. Yeah I feel the same. I am glad he could speak his truths, but not sure about the delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book reads very stream of consciousness too. Still, I'm happy he was able to get his side of the story told.

      Delete
  4. I am on the fence about reading Spare. One day I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally feel like the book would benefit from letting the hype die down a bit. I know that's easy for me to say as I've already read it, but I think this one will be more interesting in hindsight.

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I'd read this, but I appreciate that it's his way of telling his story. I wonder sometimes, if he has the wrong PR right now that don't quite understand the Royal Family and how to navigate that world -- which is why they're taking such a battering in the press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely feel like there's a disconnect between what he says he wants to happen with what his actions are. I feel bad for the way things have shaken out, but I also think the family is a bit stuck in regards to what they are able to do.

      Delete
  6. I have heard enough bits of it, cant say I care that much about Harry to reaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really nothing new revealed here, so I think you're probably safe to skip it.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.