Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I've mused before about those books that it seems like everyone reads. It is rare, but every once in a while a novel comes along that seems to universally grab readers. I tend to be behind the curve with such titles, waiting for the hype to die down a bit before diving in. It should be no surprise then that it has taken me this long to read Celeste Ng's acclaimed Little Fires Everywhere. I was aware of the book when it was published in 2017, and I was reminded of it when the mini-series based on the novel was released in 2020. Still, it wasn't until last week that I decided to finally give it a read. As is often the case with these buzzy titles, I was left wondering why it took me so long to see what all the hype was about. 

Shaker Heights is the master-planned community that suburban dreams of being made of. Every last detail of this place is meticulously thought out, ensuring peace and happiness to all who call the area home. Perhaps no one aligns with the values of Shaker Heights quite like Elena Richardson. In her mind, her life represents the quintessential American dream. Mrs. Richardson has a loving husband whose law practice provides the family with a comfortable lifestyle. The Richardsons are parents to four perfect children, two boys and two girls. When she's not maintaining her home, Mrs. Richardson has a fulfilling career as a print journalist for the local newspaper. Yes, it is safe to say that Mrs. Richaradson's life perfectly aligns with the ideals of the community she calls home. At least, that's what it looks like from the outside. 

Mia Warren is about as different from Elena Richardson as you can get. A single mother, Mia travels from town to town, only staying long enough to complete her latest art project. She supplements the artist lifestyle with whatever part-time work she can wrangle up to fill in the financial gaps of her passions. This life isn't much, but it works for Mia and her daughter Pearl. The pair settle into Shaker Heights, renting in a duplex owned by Mrs. Richardson. The Richardson clan is instantly drawn to the free-spirited Warrens. Mia's go-with-the-flow approach to life directly contradicts the orderly nature of Mrs. Richardson and the larger Shaker Heights community. Mrs. Richardson can't shake the feeling that Mia is hiding something. She'll stop at nothing to discover Mia's secret past. In doing so, however, her perfect little life may just come crumbling down. 

Little Fires Everywhere sees Celeste Ng dismantle the picture-perfect facade of life through challenging scenarios that don't have exact answers. Despite our best efforts, life isn't perfect. In fact, it can often be downright messy. That seems to be the main thesis of the book. Ng sets her story in an idyllic community during the 90s, a time at the very beginning of the internet and predating social media. I was struck by the differences in the period from our present day. Life both seemed simpler but was nonetheless complex. The main characters here are both mothers who are doing the best they can in the situations they are in. Even when Ng focuses on the perspective of the children, the mother's influence on their lives is deeply felt. I was completely enthralled with the characters in the book, unable to put it down until I had finished it. I completely understand the hype around Little Fires Everywhere, and I only wish I hadn't waited so long to read it. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 24)

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng”

  1. I'm even slower than you at getting around to reading some of these hugely popular books...I still haven't read this one. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this all over the place and hadn't really known what it was about. Hyped books tend to be hit or miss for me. Glad it lived up to the hype for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nosey neighbors are the worst. Even though I tend to be a bit nosey, not to that extent. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very thankful that my neighbors mostly keep to themselves. I'll take a friendly wave here and there, but I like my privacy.

      Delete
  4. I srsly need to try her, I have meant for ages, but it just never happens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skimmed your review because I have this on my Kindle. I used to have a lot of nosy neighbors when I lived in FL, thankfully, everyone keeps to themselves out here (WA) lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read this one! It goes much deeper than the usual nosy neighbor drama.

      Delete
  6. I had already read your review on Instagram, but I just finished reading Karen's review and she mentioned your review was what nudged her into reading it, so I thought I'd hop over and let you know reading your IG review nudged me into moving Little Fires Everywhere closer to the top of my TBR. 📘

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.