The Ferryman by Justin Cronin

Justin Cronin has been on my radar since his novel The Passage captured audiences' attention in 2010. At that time, I was just getting back into reading, and I hadn't even started my blog yet. As is often the case, I put the book and the subsequent trilogy on my TBR list, but never got around to actually reading it. I vowed to read whatever new work Cronin came up with next. Enter his latest novel The Ferryman. Cronin's publisher sent me a copy of his new standalone book, and I finally had an excuse to read his writing. 

For the survivors, the small archipelago of Propera has become a place of refuge. As the world surrounding this place crumbles, Prospera has become a utopia of promise. Those lucky few who call the place home live their days of comfort and satisfaction, a life in sharp contrast to the people living in the outside world. The only caveat to this utopia is that it can't last forever. Each citizen is equipped with a monitoring device in their arms. As their physical and psychological well-being drops, they voluntarily retire to a place called The Nursery. Retirees board a ferry that takes them to be mentally and physically renewed. 

Proctor Bennet has the important job of being a ferryman. He's responsible for guiding citizens through the retirement process, beckoning them to the boat that will take them to The Nursery. Usually, this is an almost celebratory moment as the elder citizens welcome this next chapter in their lives. Sometimes, though, Proctor has to more forcefully enforce the tradition. Strange things have been happening with Proctor. It is supposed to be impossible to dream on Prospera, yet he dreams vividly. Even more strange, his monitor is beginning to show he is rapidly declining, approaching the very state that sees him guide people to the ferry. His personal and professional lives come to a head when Proctor is tasked with helping his own father retire. At the last moment of the ritual, Proctor's father becomes agitated, needing to be restrained and forced to the ferry. In these brief moments, he relays a cryptic message to his son. This message will set into motion a series of events that will leave Proctor questioning everything he's ever known. 

The Ferryman sees Justin Cronin conjure a world filled with moral ambiguities that will have readers contemplating the truths of everything they are presented with. I was instantly drawn into the world that Cronin created. His main character Proctor serves as a kind of in-between for the reader, allowing us to see the beautiful utopia of the world while questioning the motivations of those who have created it. The first third of the book had me completely enthralled. Cronin alternated between the POV of his main character with that of someone tied to the outside world, giving the reader an into each side of this fantasy. Toward the middle of the book, I became a bit lost in the weeds. The driving plot began to meander, and I wasn't sure what was happening. Things come together for a satisfying and twisty conclusion, but the book is probably a hundred pages too long. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 28)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “The Ferryman by Justin Cronin”

  1. I read The Passage when it came out, and I liked some things about it, but I thought it was a bit too long and in need of some editing. And I never read the rest of the books in that series. When I was reading your synopsis of this one it reminded me a little of that movie Soylent Green in places. Probably not the same ending though. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard similar reactions to The Passage, with most saying they didn't continue the series. This one certainly had great moments, but it didn't really work as a cohesive whole.

      Delete
  2. Is it me, or did the ferryman of myth pop into your head (Charon)? Sounds interesting though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think that is probably intentional.

      Delete
  3. Like Lark above, this reminds me of the plot to Soylent Green. I'd be very suspicious of this utopia type of place with a forced retirement. It's a bummer when you feel like a book is too long. I come across that sometimes too. I end up skimming. Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of the film before reading your comments. I'll have to give it a watch!

      Delete
  4. I find a lot of authors pad their novels to add to the length, and the reader thinks...wrap it up already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much had that reaction in the middle of this one!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hahaha We can't help that we have similar tastes!

      Delete
    2. You and CK always make my TBR longer, I will never run out of things to read :)

      Delete
    3. I don't see how that's a bad thing lol!

      Delete
    4. Oh yeah, that's a bit much haha

      Delete
  6. I really like the premise for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I just wish the execution had been a bit tighter.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.