The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz

David Lagercrantz faced a daunting task when he took on the responsibility of continuing the acclaimed Millennium series after the untimely passing of Stieg Larsson. His first endeavor, The Girl in the Spider's Web, advanced the storyline and stayed true to the core elements that captivated readers in the initial trilogy. Although it has been a while since I immersed myself in that narrative, I've had Lagercrantz's fifth book, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye, patiently waiting on my shelf for several years. Inspired to reenter the ominous universe of these stories, I finally decided to read it.

At the book's outset, Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tattoo, finds herself incarcerated. The reason is her use of excessive force while rescuing a child from their abuser. Lisbeth is now paying the price for her unwavering moral code. Confined behind prison bars, she immerses herself in the study of Quantum Field Theory. This subject is utterly elusive to me, yet effortlessly unfolds its intricacies for the brilliant Salander. Her solitary existence is disrupted by interactions with fellow inmates, one of whom has targeted another woman on the block. Never one to ignore injustice, Lisbeth is inevitably drawn into the midst of it all.

Mikael Blomkvist, renowned for his incisive exposés at Millennium Magazine, makes a return, this time delving into the mysterious Registry, the organization believed to be behind the appalling abuse suffered by Lisbeth and her twin sister. As Blomkvist probes deeper into Salander's past, it becomes evident that those accountable for her childhood trauma are determined to prevent him from uncovering the truth. What's even more disturbing is the potential continuation of their horrific research into the present day. Their threat is as present as ever, and Blomkvist will stop at nothing to finally bring their actions to light. 

On the surface, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye was poised to be a successful continuation of this thrilling narrative. Having mostly enjoyed the previous book, I anticipated another captivating tale. However, I found the novel to be a complete misfire, setting the series on a path of diminishing returns. Interestingly, many of my complaints about this book align with my issues with one of Lagercrantz's recent efforts, Dark Music. Like that novel, this one relies too heavily on telling the reader about the action instead of showing it, turning what should be page-turning moments into dull retellings that left me yearning to witness the action. Furthermore, Salander takes a back seat as a character in this story, leaving the supporting cast to try to bear the emotional weight of the narrative. None of the confusing cast of characters can fully carry the mantle of the story on their own, resulting in a messy tangle of threads that simply don't come together for a satisfying conclusion. With two books left in this series, I think this one will be my last.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 13)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz”

  1. Sorry to hear this one didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they just haven't been able to continue this series in a way that compels me to continue anymore.

      Delete
  2. I'll be honest: I've never seen the movies, nor have I read the rest of the series. But as a rule, I'm wary of everything that strays from the original author's intent, from retellings to continuations under a different name. It sounds, though, that the problem with this one lies elsewhere, if another book by the same author has the same issues you found in this one...Telling-not-showing in small doses can be tolerated (IMO), but if it takes over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original trilogy is worth a read IMHO, and even the fourth book had redeeming qualities. This one, though, is a complete misfire.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this one wasn't better. I've hesitated to read any of Lagercrantz's books about Salander mostly because I don't always love when another author tries to write someone else's characters. That's why I applauded Sue Grafton's family's decision to end the alphabet at Y when she died before finishing her series; no one else could write Kinsey Milhone the way she could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciated Grafton's family making that choice too!

      Delete
  4. It's quite a risk for another author to take over this character and her world. Sorry this was not a big winner for you, but it does sound like you are not a fan of the author's style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between this and his last book, I think that's an apt conclusion. Others seem to have enjoyed his books, so I'll just move on for now.

      Delete
  5. Bummer this didn't work out. I own the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I keep meaning to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think the original trilogy is worth a read. I just wouldn't recommend continuing after that.

      Delete
  6. I've always gone back and forth on the trilogy, and may have to read them at some point. I don't like when a new author takes over a series, so I don't think I would read any of the others though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original series is incredible graphic and triggering. Great characters and solid plotting, but very tough to get through.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.