Blood Rubies by Mailan Doquang

How do you typically find your next read? I've developed a range of techniques to discover the next book that will capture my interest. Whether it's browsing bookstore shelves, listening to book review podcasts, or relying on trusted recommendations from fellow readers, each method has led me to some of my favorite reads. Recently, I've added TikTok to my repertoire. It took longer than expected for book-related content to appear on my "For You" page amidst the flood of puppy videos and cooking tutorials. But finally, it's there. One of my favorite creators on the platform offers an insider's look into book cover design, showcasing how he brings publishers' visions to life. His captivating process, particularly evident in a video where he designs the cover for Mailan Doquang's debut thriller Blood Rubies, inspired me to pick up the book.

Rune Sarasin has always understood the risks of her chosen lifestyle as a thief, but nothing could prepare her for the whirlwind of trouble that ensues in just seven days. It all begins with a daring heist of rubies from the luxurious confines of a Bangkok hotel room owned by the affluent smuggler Charles Lemaire. With the help of her boyfriend Kit, Rune narrowly evades Lemaire's relentless pursuit. However, their triumph is short-lived when they receive distressing news: Kit's sister, Madee, has vanished without a trace. Tracking Madee's cell phone leads them to the perilous Khlong Toei slum, where Rune's own mishap compounds their troubles – she inadvertently loses the stolen rubies while searching for Madee.

Charles Lemaire has set his sights on recovering his prized rubies, and he won't hesitate to resort to violence to achieve his goal. He captures Kit, holding him hostage until Rune returns his stolen jewels. If she fails, Kit will be killed. Now, Rune is thrust into a race against time, torn between reclaiming the lost rubies and rescuing Kit from Lemaire's clutches. Yet, amidst the chaos, Rune cannot ignore the pressing need to uncover the truth behind Madee's disappearance. Delving deeper into the shadows of the Khlong Toei slum, Rune soon discovers a sinister underworld of crime, where the stakes are far higher than a mere collection of stolen jewels or the fate of one missing girl.

I judged Blood Rubies by its cover, and I'm happy to say that the story within was just as captivating as its visually striking exterior. Mailan Doquang immerses readers in a world rife with crime, deception, and high-stakes action, crafting a narrative that unfolds with relentless momentum. This thrilling, globe-spanning tale expertly balances the allure of a daring heist with a protagonist whose personal stakes add depth and resonance to the narrative. Despite some moments of exaggerated action as the plot unfolded, I found myself thoroughly engrossed in the story, enjoying every twist and turn it had to offer. Blood Rubies is a delightful, pulse-pounding heist adventure that is sure to satisfy any fan of the thriller genre.

For more information, visit Amazon and Goodreads. 

(2024, 36)

This entry was posted on Friday, May 10, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Blood Rubies by Mailan Doquang”

  1. Totally engrossed in the book sounds great 😁 A heist is always fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love a heist thriller, and this one was no exception!

      Delete
  2. Gotta love a good heist! And I'm always adding to my list of books I want to read...I find them on Goodreads, on the list of new books on my library's catalog, browsing at the actual library, and from other bloggers... like you. You're always adding new books to my list that I really want to read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say the same about you! There's a never ending supply of books to add to my TBR, and that's become part of the fun of all of this.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting path that led you to this book. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It goes to show you that I'll take a book recommendation from anywhere haha

      Delete
  4. I haven't navigated TikTok yet. The recommendation paid off in an exciting read! Sounds like a story that'd keep you on the edge of your seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like most social media, there are pros and cons, but I've really enjoyed a lot of the content I've discovered there.

      Delete
  5. I get a lot of my new reads from unpacking shipments at the bookstore where I work (lol). And from close friends! I've found that TikTok often lets me down. I'm glad this one worked out for you! I haven't seen this one yet, so I might have to check it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My already massive TBR would be completely unhinged if I worked at a bookstore!

      Delete
  6. It's interesting to think about the different ways we find books. This one does have a striking cover and sounds like a thrilling story! Glad tiktok has steered you to a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy to have stumbled upon it.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.