The Little Liar by Mitch Albom

In 2017, I had the privilege of embarking on a backpacking trip across Europe. I was overwhelmed by the sheer scope of history that unfolded in the places I visited. The history of the Holocaust, in particular, struck a deep chord within me. Walking through the ruins of Auschwitz and witnessing the vast expanse of Birkenau, I struggled to comprehend the true magnitude of lives lost during this horrific period. Surrounded by barbed fences and countless shed-like structures that once housed over a million prisoners, the enormity of the tragedy was almost too overwhelming to grasp.

It was only through reading personal accounts, such as Elie Wiesel's Night and Anne Frank's diary, that I began to connect with this tragedy on a human level. These personal experiences allowed me to truly understand the inhumanity of the Holocaust. Since that journey, I have mostly avoided fictional works set within this historical context. How can one craft a compelling story about something so horrific? However, when I stumbled upon Mitch Albom's latest novel, The Little Liar, I decided to take a chance on this work of fiction.

How do we know what is really true? In this story, we can be certain that everything we read is true because our narrator is Truth itself. Talk about credibility. The book follows Nico Krispis, an eleven-year-old Greek boy who has never told a lie in his life. When the Nazis invade his home, Nico hides while his family is taken by soldiers. A German officer eventually finds Nico and offers him a deal: his family's safety in exchange for Nico's help. The officer asks Nico to go to the train station daily and reassure his fellow Jews that the trains they are being forced to board are taking them to new homes with jobs and safety.

Unaware of the cruel deception, Nico faithfully carries out his task. It isn't until he sees his own family being loaded into a crowded boxcar that he realizes the horrific truth—they are all being sent to their doom at Auschwitz. Distraught by his unwitting role in this great lie, Nico is forever changed, never able to tell the truth again. In the intervening years, we follow Nico, his brother, their schoolmate, and the Nazi officer as they each grapple with the consequences of their actions, words, and the trauma they have endured.

The Little Liar begins as a moving parable about the value of truth, the consequences of deception, and the redemptive power of forgiveness. By having Truth as the narrator, Mitch Albom gives the story an authority it might otherwise lack. I was drawn into the story, captivated by the familiar historical context and the inevitable heartbreak. The first part of the book, which focuses on the Holocaust, is the most compelling. Albom then fast-forwards through history, showing how each character deals with the aftermath of their trauma. While the story concludes in a satisfying way, I couldn't help but wish for more depth from the characters.

My experience walking through historical sites and reading primary sources about the Holocaust highlighted the complexity of the individuals involved. In Albom's novel, however, the characters often feel one-dimensional. The good guys are entirely good, and the bad guys are unrelentingly evil. While this works from a narrative standpoint, it detracts from deeper contemplation and reflection. Take the Nazi officer, for example. Initially, he appears conflicted as he rescues Nico from certain death, but rather than struggling with his conscience, he quickly devolves into a caricature of evil. This lack of nuanced character development reduces the emotional impact of the story.

While there are glimmers of genuine heart and some clever plot developments, the main emotion I left The Little Liar with was a sense of coolness. It is a serviceable tale but one that leaves little lasting impact. My advice: dive into some of the non-fiction writing on this subject instead.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 40)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “The Little Liar by Mitch Albom”

  1. Your backpacking trip through Europe sounds amazing. I'd love to do something similar someday. I got to visit Anne Frank's house when I traveled to The Netherlands and it was very moving. And while I can appreciate what Albom was attempting to do with this book, I'm with you; I'd rather read true accounts and memoirs about that time period. The truth in those books is more compelling than any fictionalized story could ever be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found Anne Frank's house to be the most emotional of the sites I visited from the time period. Seeing the kids heights marked on the walls and the little posters they had pasted up really hit me like a gut punch. They were just ordinary folks doing their best to get by.

      Delete
  2. Such an intriguing choice for the narrator. I can honestly say I have never encountered that before. When you wrote about the trains, my heart broke. I struggle with these stories because it was such a devastating part of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a tough, but important history to learn about!

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed this author previously, but not sure this one is for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I've enjoyed some of his other works, but this one didn't work for me. I seem to be in the minority of reviewers though, so don't take my thoughts as the gospel truth.

      Delete
  4. I understand your reservations...then again, for people who struggle with reading nonfiction but want to accost one of the greatest tragedies in history, this might be a good starting point. Also, the choice of narrator is a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Perhaps my view on this one would have been different if I hadn't already read so much non fiction about it. I'm always here for books that help people tackle a subject they may otherwise not have.

      Delete
  5. There are so many stories told by the people who were there that it almost makes little sense for someone to write a fiction account like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of where I landed at the end of this one too, though some other commenters here have made fair points in favor of this kind of fiction.

      Delete
  6. Walking through Auschwitz and Birkenau is really sobering, and I'm always wary of fiction that attempts to do it justice. I'm sad this one doesn't hit those resonant notes, but I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost feel as if my having visited the site spoiled the fiction for me. We were there on a cold, snowy day, and I just couldn't stop thinking about the people who would have been there in similar climates but without the comforts that I had. It is certainly sobering.

      Delete
  7. This sounded like such a promising idea. It's too bad it didn't quite live up to it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was sad this one didn't resonate in the way I hoped it would, but I've seen several other reviews where the reader really connected with this story.

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time reading accounts from this time in history, but I have. They stay with me and repeat in my mind over and over, so I try not to anymore. Nico's story sounds awful to me. I'm sorry to hear you didn't connect with it as much as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a difficult subject to read about, but one that is so important to share.

      Delete
  9. Omg that is so horrible. Poor boy 😭

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.