House of Glass by Sarah Pekkanen

Childhood trauma is inevitable, though its impact varies for each individual. Stella Hudson's trauma, stemming from losing her mother to drug addiction, has led her to a career as an attorney specializing in child advocacy. Her latest case involves nine-year-old Rose Barclay. Rose's parents, Ian and Beth, are in the midst of a divorce, and Stella has been called in to determine Rose's final custody. Both parents have agreed to abide by Stella's decision as a neutral third party. During her investigation, Stella gets to know the parents, Ian's mother, Harriet, who lives with the family, and, of course, young Rose.

Divorce isn't the only dark shadow over the Barclay family. Rose's young nanny, Tina, recently met a tragic end, falling from the third-story window of the family home and plummeting to her death. Rose witnessed this event and has been so traumatized that she hasn't spoken a word since. Beth was equally impacted, developing a phobia of glass that has led the family to replace all the windows with plexiglass. Ian was affected in a more personal way. Before Tina's death, he had been involved in a passionate affair with her. The investigation into Tina's fall found no obvious sign of foul play, but the question lingers: was the young nanny pushed? If so, who was responsible? Was it the father, Ian, or the scorned mother, Beth? Or, most disturbingly, could the quiet young Rose be the one responsible for the tragedy?

Sarah Pekkanen has a knack for crafting page-turning thrillers centered on compelling family dramas, and her latest book, House of Glass, is no exception. After enjoying her previous standalone thriller, Gone Tonight, I was eager to dive into her newest release and was thrilled to receive both a physical and audio copy from her publisher. Pekkanen skillfully plays with genre conventions, using familiar tropes to present tantalizing red herrings. I'll admit, I thought I had the plot figured out, only to be surprised by an unexpected twist at the end.

House of Glass hooked me from the start, drawing me into the mystery of a mute child whose perspective may hold the key to the truth. This irresistible puzzle kept me reading non-stop. I had noted some uneven pacing in Pekkanen's previous novel, but House of Glass showed no such inconsistencies. It's sheer fun, popcorn reading at its finest—slightly over the top but thoroughly enjoyable.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 60)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

24 Responses to “House of Glass by Sarah Pekkanen”

  1. A mystery with a mute child is such a great hook! And I do love a good summer popcorn thriller. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tries Pekkanen, but I am sure I have seen one of her books at the library

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it bad that my first thought was that Rose pushed her? lol I may have watched too many of those Omen movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot lie. When I read the part about the nanny falling from the window and the mute kid, Damien Omen came to mind. Glad this one delivered surprises for you. Always a plus with a mystery/thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mind right where Mary's did. HA! Glad this one delivered some surprises. Always a plus with a mystery/thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad this was an enjoyable thriller. I love when a twist can surprise me. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Omen comments made me laugh. Glad you found this to be so compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I hadn't made that connection until everyone started commenting.

      Delete
  8. With so few characters, it shouldn't be hard to guess the culprit...except, apparently, it wasn't!

    Nothing wrong with popcorn reading when done right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to grab this. Hopefully, on audio. This is the second review that sold me on this today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't grab up the arc, but I'll request the audio from my library. Sounds like page-turning fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, but I can totally relate to passing on an ARC. There's just not enough time for them all!

      Delete
  11. I didn't really care for The Wife Between Us or The Golden Couple, but I didn't hate them. I am willing to give this one a try because the premise is fantastic and you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I actually really liked The Golden Couple, but didn't like Gone Tonight as much as I'd hoped.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read Gone Tonight. I'll probably skip it, if you didn't like it.

      Delete
    3. It is fine, but just not the best of her writing.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.