Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam

Sometimes, a book captures the spirit of the times, perfectly reflecting the emotions and experiences of humanity at that moment. In the fall of 2020, as the world grappled with the uncertainty and fear brought on by the pandemic, the threat of COVID-19 was overwhelming. We watched helplessly as this invisible virus upended our lives, changing them forever. The worst part was that we could not do anything but hope to stay safe. Tragically, many lost their lives before a vaccine was developed, and we slowly began to adjust to our new normal.

Rumaan Alam's novel Leave the World Behind was released that October and quickly captivated readers around the globe. The story of two families forced to coexist under one roof as the world around them spiraled into chaos mirrored our new reality and resonated deeply with readers. As is often the case, I avoided reading the novel during its initial hype, only recently rediscovering it on my shelf. I started it eager to see if the story still had the same impact as during that unprecedented year.

Amanda and Clay are eager for a getaway. They’ve rented a luxurious Airbnb in a secluded part of Long Island, far from the stress of the city. Along with their teenage son and daughter, the couple plans to spend the next few days relaxing and unwinding, free from the burdens of their everyday lives. But little do they know that everything they’re trying to escape is about to intrude on their vacation, starting with a knock on the door on their very first night.

When Amanda and Clay open the door, they find an older couple, Ruth and G.H., who claim to be the owners of the house. Why are they here? The couple is clearly distressed, explaining that a massive power outage has hit the city. They've arrived at their country house in search of their own safe haven. But can Amanda and Clay trust them? With no way to verify their story—since phone and internet services have gone out, and the power is soon to follow—they have little choice but to let Ruth and G.H. in, becoming reluctant housemates in an increasingly uncertain situation.

A growing sense of uneasiness permeates each page of Leave the World Behind. Rumaan Alam crafts a narrative where characters are thrust together by sheer circumstance, generating interpersonal drama that echoes the outside world's chaos. As I read, I couldn't help but recall the days of quarantine, confined within the walls of my home with little certainty about what the future held. Even years later, that lingering anxiety haunts me. Alam captures this feeling brilliantly, weaving it into the plot and the characters themselves.

Tensions simmer between the two couples, divided by age and race, adding an extra layer of mistrust that fuels the mystery of what’s happening in the world. Why has the power gone out? Why are flamingos flying in the sky? And what was that deafening noise that shattered the windows? Answers are elusive, but that’s not the novel's purpose. Alam invites us to question everything, knowing full well that drawing conclusions may lead us astray. While this approach may yield mixed reactions from readers, I can see why this story has resonated so deeply with many. We lived through a unique moment in time that left us with more questions than answers. Leave the World Behind offers a chance to reflect on that experience through the lens of fiction, providing a sense of catharsis that only a well-crafted story can deliver.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 62)

This entry was posted on Monday, August 12, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam”

  1. Sounds very compelling. Though it might trigger my anxiety a little too much right now. Those were such stressful days back in 2020. I want to read this one...but I think I need to wait until I'm not feeling so stressed out. Great review, Ethan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely plays into our anxiousness, so you have to be in the right mindset for this one.

      Delete
  2. I watched the movie and it was good and insane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched the movie too! It expands this story in a terrifying way!

      Delete
  3. I really don't want to remember anything about 2020 or 2021. It was a bad couple of years but this sounds like it was a good book and gave you a feeling for what it was like going through that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather not revisit those times either!

      Delete
  4. I get that some readers would be annoyed by the lack of answers, but sometimes that's the very point of a story, and it makes sense that this particular one would do what you said it does. Also, it's interesting that it isn't a "Covid story" but a narrative that reflects on it obliquely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that it was published in the Fall of 2020, my bet is that COVID wasn't even a thing when Alam concieved the story. That makes it all the more interesting on how it ended up perfectly capturing the emotions of that time.

      Delete
  5. I would be frustrated by the lack of answers, but I am glad you found the story thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the lack of answers kind of bugged me too, but I still enjoyed the story. I imagine that will be a make or break element for most readers.

      Delete
  6. I watched the movie based on this book and it was good! Julia Roberts gave a great performance. It does make me think of the craziness that happened during the Covid pandemic, but I thought this was worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched the movie too, and I completely agree! They really ramped things up in a believable way in the film that expanded on the ideas of the novel. I may need to do a Friday Flicks review of it soon.

      Delete
    2. It was a good one! I look forward to your post. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm okay not reliving 2020, but this sounds so good. And luckily our library has it!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.