The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose

What was the last book you read that left you wanting more? For me, it was Nita Prose’s remarkable debut mystery, The Maid. I was instantly captivated by Molly, the meticulous maid who unexpectedly became the prime suspect in a murder investigation. Her distinctive personality, the engaging whodunit, and the theme of the strength of a chosen family made this novel one of the most heartfelt and humorous reads I’ve read this year. I was so eager for more, in fact, that I immediately picked up the next book in Prose’s series, The Mystery Guest.

Molly Gray has risen to become the Head Maid at the prestigious Regency Grand Hotel, overcoming numerous personal and professional challenges. Known for her meticulous attention to detail and strict adherence to etiquette, she has instilled in her team the importance of restoring each guest’s room to a state of perfection. Though her world was shaken when she discovered a murdered guest last year, Molly has since moved on, now enjoying the career of her dreams, a loving partner, and a robust support system she thought she’d lost after her beloved Gran’s passing.

Her world is shaken again when the renowned mystery author J.D. Grimthorpe unexpectedly dies in the hotel’s tea room. As Molly finds herself at the center of another murder investigation, she begins to suspect that the key to solving this case might be hidden in her past. Memories of her childhood working alongside her grandmother in the eccentric Grimthorpe mansion come flooding back. With the hotel under intense scrutiny, Molly must piece together the clues from her past to uncover the killer before time runs out.

The Mystery Guest sees Nita Prose deliver a captivating continuation of her story that dazzles and delights. Prose weaves the narrative through alternating past and present sections, gradually revealing details to the reader and offering small glimpses of a larger picture that eventually comes together in a satisfying whole. Everything I loved about the first book is here—Molly’s unique personality, a fantastic supporting cast that rallies around her, a puzzling murder mystery waiting to be unraveled, and a perfect blend of heart and humor.

Still, this is more than just a rehash of what came before. Prose expands Molly’s story, offering more profound insights into her past and illuminating what drives her in the present. The mystery in this installment is even more intricate and fulfilling than in the first novel, making for a page-turner from start to finish. A shocking personal revelation in the epilogue hints at even more intriguing tales in store for our favorite maid. Once again, The Mystery Guest left me eager for more from Nita Prose. Fortunately, a holiday-themed novella featuring Molly will be released later this year, keeping us eager fans satisfied until the third novel drops next year. I’ll be first in line to devour both.

For more information, visit the author’s website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 64)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose”

  1. I like a good murder mystery and this sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Prose expanded Molly's story, giving us more glimpses into her past and hinting towards a future, but I missed the hotel family. I still enjoyed it but not as much as the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed them too, though I think this was more Molly's tale than the collective from the last book. I'll be eager to see where she takes these characters next.

      Delete
  3. I liked that you got to see more of Molly's past with her grandmother and how she grew up in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It really helped add some complexity and context to her character.

      Delete
  4. These sound like the kind of cozy murder mystery a la Murder, She Wrote, only with a maid at their center and more found family. I hope Molly won't keep finding dead bodies in her hotel, though...😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've finally gotten around to snagging The Maid from the library and want to start it this weekend. Looking forward to this adventure, and good to know about the coming novella. I get impatient if it ends up being a series I really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quick read, so I'm sure you'll get through it in no time!

      Delete
    2. So I have read both now, and I liked the first book but the second really fell flat for me.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry to hear that! I've got the novella on my stack here to read soon, so I'll let you know if I think it is worth continuing!

      Delete
  6. I did check and the library has it, but only translated, nooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! Hope you can get your hands on it. They're great reads!

      Delete
  7. I picked this up after your review of The Maid reminded me I had the audio to listen to. I loved seeing Molly prevail and I'm hoping she seriously thinks about a job with the police. I think it'd be perfect for her and a way to solve more mysteries with her character. I didn't know there was a novella coming, but I'm thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that. There are so many intriguing places this character can go, and I hope we get to see her become more intentionally involved in investigations in the future.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.