Death at the Sanatorium by Ragnar Jonasson

I've always had a soft spot for classic murder mysteries. It's a genre that shaped my love for reading and often provides a go-to escape when I need a reliable book. So, when Ragnar Johnasson's publisher offered me an audio copy of his newest novel, Death at the Sanatorium, I was immediately intrigued. Icelandic crime fiction can be a mixed bag for me, but the idea of this novel being inspired by the classic mysteries I've come to love was too tempting to pass up. Fortunately, this one turned out to be a clever take on the genre.

In 1983, an elderly nurse was murdered at a hospital in Iceland, the site of a former sanatorium steeped in dark history. Detective Hulda Hermannsdóttir and her superior, Sverrir, were called in to investigate and begin questioning the staff on duty that night. A nurse's false testimony resulted in the arrest of a caretaker, but the case quickly took a turn. Just days later, a physician was found dead, having apparently fallen from a balcony. Sverrir deemed it a suicide, released the caretaker from custody, and assumed the physician was responsible for the nurse's murder, closing the case for good.

Nearly thirty years later, young police detective Helgi Reykdal is juggling his studies in criminology with a search for a job that aligns with his passion for classic mysteries. A devoted fan of Agatha Christie and P.D. James, Helgi has focused his dissertation on the old sanatorium murders in 1983, which he believes remain unsolved. By a stroke of fate, he secures a detective position with the Reykjavik police. It's the very role Hulda Hermannsdóttir held during the original investigation. Helgi revisits the cold case, convinced something was overlooked. As he begins meeting with the original suspects, he uncovers a long-buried web of silence and suspicion. Only his sharp intellect and determination will help him unravel the truth behind the decades-old mystery.

In Death at the Sanatorium, Ragnar Jonasson merges modern storytelling with a timeless murder mystery formula, creating a narrative that feels both familiar and fresh. The story alternates between two timelines—one set in the past, echoing classic detective novels, and the other in the present, where a young detective revisits a case long considered closed. This structure keeps readers on edge and adds layers of intrigue as the past's secrets slowly unravel in the present.

Though the characters could have been more deeply explored, the novel delivers an atmospheric, suspenseful mystery with a shocking and emotional twist. Jonasson's nod to golden-age detective fiction, combined with his contemporary take on justice and hidden truths, makes Death at the Sanatorium a gripping read for fans of the genre.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 67)

This entry was posted on Friday, September 13, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “Death at the Sanatorium by Ragnar Jonasson”

  1. This one sounds pretty unique. And I'm a fan of vintage mystery novels as well, so it might work for me. You know, Christie of course, but also Queen, Carr, Stout...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are old sanatoriums so creepy? They sure do make for a good backdrop for this type of story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? The setting is always a creepy one. There was an abandoned one in San Antonio that we would explore when I was a teenager.

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for a good dual-timeline story for a while, and this one does intrigue me. Icelandic crime fic isn't always my thing, but if you enjoyed it, I might have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is worth a read. It has a pretty solid mystery at its heart.

      Delete
  4. I don't read much crime fiction, and I can say I have little exposure to Icelandic crime fiction, but it sounds like the author did a wonderful job crafting an interesting story that combined various elements well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the way this one played in the past and present. It gave it a unique take.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear you liked this one. I've read several of Jonasson's mysteries, and have loved some and only sort of liked others. But I always love that Icelandic setting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I landed at the Reykjavik airport on my way to Paris a few years back! I'd love to actually explore Iceland at some point. I heard there's a dating app there that rules out you being related to your potential date there. I guess it's such a small area it's a possibility, lol! I just read another review for this story. I love Agatha Christie, so it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Iceland one day too. So funny about the dating app! That's a problem I wouldn't have though of

      Delete
  7. Modern with timeless, I do wonder how I would take that. Hopefully it would be just right

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.