Pet Sematary by Stephen King

"Death is a mystery, and burial is a secret."

With the upcoming release of a new film version of Pet Sematary, I decided to revisit Stephen King's classic novel. I first read the book years ago and remember it being a different kind of horror. Unlike some of King's more graphic stories, Pet Sematary was a slow-burning family drama that chilled me to my core. This time, I opted to listen to the audiobook narrated by Michael C. Hall.

The unease begins to mount from the very beginning. Louis Creed has moved his family from the city to rural Maine. They seem to be the perfect family. Doctor Creed, his wife, daughter, and son exude normalcy. But from their first moments in their new home, they know something isn't right. Louis quickly befriends his elderly neighbor Jud who warns the Creeds to be wary of the busy road that separates their two properties. Jud has seen that road claim countless pets over the years and recommends the Creeds have their cat fixed before it becomes the next victim.

Jud's warning becomes prophecy when Louis discovers the battered remains of the family cat lying on the road. His family isn't home, but he knows his daughter will be devastated. Jud suggests Louis burry the feline in the 'Pet Sematary' on the edge of Creed's property. The pair take a moonlit stroll into the former Native American burial ground to put the family cat to rest. Little does Louis know that he's about to find out why "sometimes dead is better."

Originally released over 35 years ago, Pet Sematary remains as terrifying and relevant as ever. I've always argued that the strength of King's writing lies not in his ability to conjure spooky scenarios, but in the way he crafts relatable characters who transcend genre and time. Louis Creed is recognizable as a young father trying to give his family the best life possible while facing the same kind of obstacles that any parent encounters. How do we teach our youth about life, death, and the unfairness that tragedy brings? King's fable smartly ponders these questions while weaving a tale of suspense that culminates in an ending that will leave you reeling for days and weeks to come. As King seems to say in all of his work, sometimes the scariest things in life lie not in the nightmares of our imagination but in the everyday moments of life itself.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.
(2019, 11)

This entry was posted on Monday, March 25, 2019 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

10 Responses to “Pet Sematary by Stephen King”

  1. I didn't read the book because after I saw the movie it scared me enough to avoid the book o.o
    Glad you enjoyed it, it's nice to see it hold up after so many years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horror definitely isn't for everyone, but I think this one goes beyond the genre.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I didn't realize this book was 35 years old. I have never read a King book. I watched a lot of his movies in my youth and they were terrifying. I think it would be even scarier reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has some other books that fall less into the horror genre. His recent novella ELEVATION may be a good place to start!

      Delete
  3. I read this book so many years ago. I wonder if I'd perceive it differently now that I'm a parent. My daughter is currently reading her first SK novel (IT) and wanted to know what else she should read -- I suggested this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so awesome that his books appeal to multiple generations. I think you'd find more nuance to this one as you are a parent now!

      Delete
  4. I read this as a teen and recently listened. I so agree with your statement about his characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His characters are the thing that always keep me coming back for more!

      Delete
  5. I've never read this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading it years later. I just read an interview with King recently and he said he only published this book to fulfill a contract with his publisher. I guess he thought it was too scary or too much, I don't know!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an intro to the latest publication of the book where King tells that story. Apparently he was obligated to deliver one last book to his publisher before he switched to another one. He thought that the book was too much to publish, but didn't have time to write another book. Thankfully he published it!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.