The Gatherings by Jeremy Ray

"We came here as individuals, we leave as one."

Much of my reading in July was consumed by horror novels. I've always been a fan of the genre, so it was really fun to devote so much of my reading time to it. As we entered August (how is it already August?!), I really wanted to vary my reading a bit more. I've got some non-fiction sprinkled in with a thriller or two and even a YA romance all set to be read this month. But when author Jeremy Ray reached out to me for a review of his debut short story, an apocalyptic horror story at that, I just couldn't resist it. So here I am, defaulting back to a genre that has sustained me for the past several weeks. The Gatherings is the perfect excuse for a short detour from my regularly scheduled reading. I have no doubt that you'll want to veer off your reading path to include it too.

The story opens with our heroine Emily writing an account of the past several days with the only paper and pen that she's been able to find. In reading her writing, we learn that the world as we currently know it has ceased to exist. Most people are gone, leaving the few remaining individuals to reckon with the changes that have happened and to fight to stay alive. Look up in the sky and you may be lucky enough to spot a bird or two, doing everything in its power to stay airborne and stay alive. This isn't your ordinary end of the world scenario. There was no virus, no nuclear blast, not blood-thirsty zombies hungry for your brains. If it weren't for the invasive vines covering every inch of occupiable land, you probably wouldn't even know anything was wrong.

The Gatherings were advertised as an almost magical experience. Famous celebrities, sports icons, and prominent elected officials all touted the potential for global peace and connection that could only be achieved by attending one of the events. Despite her introverted nature, Emily was convinced to attend her local gathering by her beautiful yoga instructor. The two women had quite the potential romance brewing, and Emily was not going to let her reserved nature keep her from spending time with the instructor. The couple approaches the sight of The Gathering, a sprawling orchard right outside of the city, to see the crowd assembling. The mayor begins the event by praising the wonderful effects of The Gatherings, and then the singing and dancing begin. The crowd is immediately overcome by a trance-like bliss, moving and swaying as a collective group. Emily is the only one who notices what is happening, the only one who sees the vines creeping toward the collective group, and the only one who has a chance at escaping the botanical hell that is quietly overtaking the world.

The Gatherings sees author Jeremy Ray enter the literary scene with a bang. This short story packs a punch that will leave you shaken, even after you finish the final page. The short story as a form is always a tricky balance of world-building, character development, and a fully formed narrative arc. Ray achieves all of these with the ease of a tenured storyteller, never veering too far into one area at the disservice of the other. Strong, descriptive imagery helps bring this apocalyptic world to life. Connecting this world-ending event to images of nature and classical art grounds the writing into a reality that makes the fiction all the more horrifying. Combine the terror with a relatable heroine who is easy to root for, and you've got a killer combo that maintains both suspense and pace. I read this short work in one sitting, not able to put it down before I knew how it ended. If this is any indication of the quality of work that we can expect from Jeremy Ray, then I'm really excited to see where is writing will take us next.

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.
(2020, 36)

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 13, 2020 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

20 Responses to “The Gatherings by Jeremy Ray”

  1. Sounds like a detour that was worth it. I'm so curious about those vines and how she was able to see them and the threat. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun one for sure. Plus its a short story, so it didn't really take much time away from my regularly scheduled reading.

      Delete
  2. I tend to enjoy horror short stories more than regular fiction ones. And this one sounds like some creepy fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really connected it before, but I agree with you. Horror really lends itself to the short story. Maybe that is why Stephen King has had so much success with them!

      Delete
  3. Well that lady certainly has a creepy mouth 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rightly so! Just wait until you read what happens to these people!

      Delete
  4. The cover is quite terrifying. Has me thinking of Children of the Corn a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is completely terrifying! I had so much fun staging a photo of it for my bookstagram.

      Delete
  5. This sounds chilling! I do enjoy apocalyptic, end-of-the-world stories. I enjoy short stories as well because you don't have to commit much time to be entertained. I'll check this one out. Wonderful review, Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know thay I am in the mood for an apocalyptic tale, but my goodness, does this sound impressive -- especially as the author manages this all in a short story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in that mood a lot lately haha. You'd think I'd want the opposite in the middle of a pandemic, but something about these end of the world stories is really appealing to me right now.

      Delete
  8. I’m always up for an apocalyptic tale, this certainly sounds like it worth a read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright Ethan, you've piqued my curiosity. Glad you took on another horror story...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover freaks me out way to much. I literally had to cover that side of the screen to read the beginning of your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no hahaha. Don't look at my instagram picture of it then lol.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.