Prey by Michael Crichton

Even if you've never heard of him, you probably have some sort of familiarity with Michael Chrichton's work. His bestselling novel Jurassic Park spawned a juggernaut film series that continues to thrill audiences to this day. Chrichton was anything but a one-hit-wonder. In fact, he had 26 novels to his name before succumbing to cancer in 2008. Since then, three more of his novels have been posthumously published, giving audiences another taste of his brilliant ability to combine high concept thrillers with down to earth characters. It has been a while since I last read one of his books, but his 2002 novel Prey has been waiting patiently for me to read it for several years now. I finally gave in this week and was instantly reminded of why I'm such a Chrichton fan. 

As is typical to most of Chricton's work, there is a heavy speculative science slant to the plot. In this case, he imagines a lab building the latest in nanotechnology. The programmers at the desert lab created these microscopic robots to mimic patterns found in nature. They are supposed to flock together, working as a group to complete various tasks. As is always the case with well-laid plans, things quickly go awry. The robots escape the lab. The flock soon becomes a predatory swarm, feasting upon the smaller animals surrounding the lab and becoming completely uncontrollable. Worse, it seems to be evolving, learning from past experience, and become unstoppable. 

Chrichton balances the high concept science fiction with drama rooted in the relatability of domestic life. His main character, a father and husband who has recently taken on the role of stay at home dad after losing his job with a tech company, is about as every-man as you can get. He is struggling to come to terms with the fact that his wife is now the financial supporter of the family. The couple bicker about the best approach to parenting and the time she spends away at her job. He grows suspicious as she begins to change her routine, arriving home later and later each day and showering immediately when she gets home. He fears his marriage is falling apart and his wife is being unfaithful. The reality is something much worse. 

Michael Crichton's Prey has all the makings of a quintessential sci-fi thriller. There's the high concept tech experiment gone amock grounded by an equally riveting family drama. All in all, I couldn't stop reading it. I was hooked on this one for the entire duration. Still, I'd hesitate to call this my favorite Chrichton novel. It follows the formula of scientists unprepared to deal with the ramifications of their science that often finds its way into his writing, but it veered a bit too far into the outrageous for my tastes. And that's coming from someone who loved his book about reanimated dinosaurs! All in all, Michael Chrichton is usually a safe bet for some clever thrills, and Prey is no exception. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.

(2020, 44)


This entry was posted on Friday, October 23, 2020 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

17 Responses to “Prey by Michael Crichton”

  1. I won't lie, I thought Chrichton was still alive since I recalled seeing new books, but I did know who he was. After 2020, I no longer dismiss anything as too outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has always seemed kind of strange to me how other authors continue to write under the name of those who have passed. Sidney Sheldon, Robert B. Parker, and Vince Flynn all come to mind.

      Delete
  2. Crichton does write some fun thrillers. I haven't read this one, but I did really like Jurassic Park and Timeline. I should really read more of his books; he wrote so many! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Timeline on my shelf for years. Everyone says that is one of his best!

      Delete
    2. It's a fun one! Time travel and science fiction combined. :)

      Delete
    3. That will definitely be my next Crichton novel!

      Delete
  3. He has so many great books, though I confess JP is my fave. I will forever and always love dinosaurs. I loved Timeline too. It is actually tied for first with Jurassic Park. It is FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, you and Lark have convinced me that needs to be the next one I read from him!

      Delete
  4. Oh that sounds really good. I don't think I've read one of his books but I definitely know the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always has a fun mix of plausible science and thrilling fiction. I think you'd really enjoy some of his stuff.

      Delete
  5. It is strange that authors can do that. I mean, did the original person sell their name rights? I don't get it. Even though Mary Higgins Clark is still alive, I do wonder how many of her books anymore are actually even written by her, at all. They don't even feel the same as her earlier work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm not mistaken, I think Mary Higgins Clark passed away at the start of this year, but I do find it strange when these authors continue releasing books. In my opinion, it starts to tarnish their brand.

      Delete
  6. I didn't even know he died O_O

    This sound great though. I really haven't read anything of his since the Jurassic Park times and I can't even remember which book it was.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember also really enjoying Airframe and State of Fear!

      Delete
  7. I've of course seen Jurassic Park and sequels, but I haven't read one of Chrichton's books. This sounds like a great premise and something I'd probably enjoy. Sad that he died. Didn't know that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do recommend his books. I always enjoy them when I pick one up.

      Delete
  8. I have read Jurassic Park but maybe I need to pick up more :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.