Bath Haus by P.J. Vernon

I've been blogging and reviewing books for nearly ten years now. In that time, I've seen many changes to the kinds of books that are being published. Some trends have thankfully come and gone, while other more welcome changes seem here to stay. One positive trend is that publishers seem to be releasing books that are much more diverse in their authors and the stories they tell. This year alone, I've already noticed that my own reading has been much more varied than in years past. Yes, this is partly due to me consciously seeking out a wider array of books, but I think it is safe to say that publishers are learning that readers want to read stories that are as diverse as we are. It should come as no surprise, then, that P.J. Vernon's new thriller Bath Haus has taken readers by storm. 

On the surface, Oliver has it all. The road to this point hasn't been easy, but he has managed to trade a life addiction and abuse in Indiana for a place of love and luxury in Washington DC. Oliver owes his change in fortune in large part to his partner Nathan. Nathan's upbringing couldn't be any more different than Oliver's. He comes from a wealthy family and has flourished in his own right as a prominent trauma surgeon. In fact, it was at the hospital where Nathan first met Oliver. Nathan helped Oliver overcome his drug addiction and showed him the true meaning of a loving relationship. The couple now lives in a gorgeous home outside of the city, and has, by all appearances, the perfect life. Beneath the surface of their picture-perfect life together, however, cracks are beginning to form. 

How did he get to this point? Aren't there better ways to deal with unhappiness in a relationship? These thoughts cross Oliver's mind as he quietly approaches the gay bathhouse Haus. He knows that he is risking his entire livelihood by visiting this place. Still, he opens the door and enters, forever setting into motion the events that will change his life as he knows it. Once inside, thoughts of his relationship with Nathan quickly leave his mind. They are replaced with something much simpler. Lust. Oliver follows a man into a private room, already beginning to surrender to his desire. Just as he's losing himself to the moment and the man before him, things change. His lust is replaced now with something he didn't expect. Fear. As he races from Haus, barely escaping with his life, Oliver is certain of only one thing. Nathan can never know about what just happened. 

In Bath Haus, P.J. Vernon presents a breakneck domestic thriller that is both unapologetically gay and surprisingly accessible to a more mainstream audience. As a gay man, I was thrilled to see a gay couple given the kind of care and depth that is normally reserved for a heterosexual couple in popular fiction. As a fan of mysteries and thrillers, I was even more enthused by the imaginative plot full of surprising twists and revelatory reveals. It was really easy to get behind the main character Oliver. He's just a kid who is overwhelmed by trying to be the perfect version of himself. Even though most of his troubles are self-inflicted, it's hard not to root for him. By firmly planting his characters in a sense of reality, Vernon allows his unabashed exploration of eroticism and enigma to be more readily accepted by the reader. Bath Haus is the kind of read that you won't be able to put down or, in my case, stop listening to. P.J. Vernon has written a steamy thrill ride that manages to push the boundaries of diverse storytelling in modern fiction while satisfying all desires for an excellent summer read. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.

(2021, 30)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2021 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

14 Responses to “Bath Haus by P.J. Vernon”

  1. I'm already intrigued. I always find it interesting to read about characters who end up suffering from their own actions/decisions. And when a single choice can spiral into so much more. I can see where it would be easy to be sympathetic towards Oliver. I'll be checking my library for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love this one! It was so easy to get sucked into the story.

      Delete
  2. I think this is the first time I have seen this one around. It sounds interesting, though for me? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like a thriller, I'd say give this one a chance. It is quite different, but still has all the classic thriller beats.

      Delete
  3. Well he sounds like an interesting character. Not sure if this would be a good fit for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be for everyone, but I'm here for more diversity in books!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like one I would love, I'll be checking my library ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you'll really like this one!

      Delete
    2. It came in for me a couple days ago, I am nearly half done already!

      Delete
    3. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  5. The suspense sounds well done and the relationship and characters realistic. I am going to have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hello, this author is new to me, and I am loving the sounds of a thriller wrapped around this intense relationship. eloquent review as always, Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He was a new to me author too, but I can't wait to read more from him!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.