When Christmas Comes By Andrew Klavan

"In heaven, the great God will judge me, but here on earth I must leave it to you."

This time of the year, I'm craving any and everything that puts me in the holiday spirit. Christmas was a much more subdued affair last year due to the ongoing pandemic, but this year (thanks in large part to vaccinations) I'm making up for the lost time. The house is fully decorated, I've made Christmas cookies, cocktails, and I've finished with all of my holiday shopping. As I settle into the season and try to embrace the spirit of this time as much as possible, I've been drawn to reading books that do the same. Enter Andrew Klavan's novella When Christmas Comes, a holiday-themed mystery that seemed like just the book to bring the festivities into my reading. 

The setup is simple enough. A local teacher has been murdered and her boyfriend has confessed to the crime. The only problem is that no one wants to believe that he is the culprit. You see, he is a decorated soldier who the entire town has embraced as a hero, a symbol of the best things to come out of the city. Moreso, the couple seemed to have had the perfect relationship. Something simply isn't adding up. The town's authorities seem hesitant to investigate the crime, especially when all the evidence points to someone they revere. It is up to Cameron Winter, an English professor of all things, to step in and ensure that justice is served. As he takes on the unenviable task of investigating a war hero, he must also face the demons of his past. 

Some of the best Christmas stories have seeped in the things that haunt us. From Krampus to Dicken's ghosts, connecting with the spirit of the holiday often requires us to face the things that we fear. Klavan draws on this literary tradition by haunting his own characters. Each person we encounter in the short work is grappling with the implications of their pasts while working to embrace a brighter future. The mystery at the center of the narrative helps to drive the plot through each of the character beats, never letting the pace slow. The writing is at times a bit saccharine, a characteristic that I'd normally scoff at. Here, amongst the idyllic setting and Christmas theme, it gets a pass. When Christmas Comes concludes with an emotional swell that delivers on each of the moments that precede it while promising more for the characters even beyond the final page. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2021, 51)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2021 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

20 Responses to “When Christmas Comes By Andrew Klavan”

  1. Ohh not exactly a festive seasonal but still a holiday read!

    I always find it interesting when some can't fathom certain people as having done bad things. I never trust anyone lol I've known really heroic seeming people (a firefighter for example) to have done horrific things to his family behind closed doors.

    On that note, hope you're having a fun season Ethan! lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never really know someone or what they're going through, be it good or bad. I've had a little cold this week, but still enjoying the season!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like a good one! I'd never heard of it before, so thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice change of pace from the more stereotypical holiday themed reads.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an intriguing one! I do love Christmas-themed or Christmas-set mysteries. :)

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the premise for this one. Sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holiday mystery, I like it, and I do like books like this for the season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good addition to any holiday reading TBR list!

      Delete
  6. A holiday mystery is an interesting concept. And I like the message of never truly knowing what those around you are going through. How true that is. I'm always willing to forgive a little saccharine writing in holiday-themed reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the only time of the year where I'm that lenient haha.

      Delete
  7. So I'm curious what kind of Christmas cookies you made! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make a ginger molasses cookie that is to die for!

      Delete
    2. Mmm...it sounds yummy! (And the perfect flavor combination for Christmas.)

      Delete
  8. Nothing says Christmas like a murder. This amuses me. Though it sounds like an interesting way to force the characters' introspection. My eye just drifted to ginger molasses cookies. They sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, they are the perfect Christmas cookie!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.