Haven by Emma Donoghue

 "God is our pilot now, and we'll go wherever his breath blows us."

In the early part of the 7th century, a group of monks at the monastery Cluain Mhic Nóis are visited by a living saint. Artt's reputation as a man of God precedes him. He's known as a strict servant of the Lord, a man whose faith saw him survive the plague and travel around the globe spreading the word. His opinion of the monks at this particular monastery is that they've become lazy, victims of routine and comfort. Criticisms aside, Artt has come to this place to reveal his vision, a direct message from God showing an island in the western sea. Per divine instruction, Artt will take two companions with him on a journey to find the island and form a new monastery. 

"We are all hurrying towards heaven, and I'm only trying to lighten your load."

The first monk selected to accompany Artt on his prophetic expedition is the elder Cormac, a seasoned storyteller with a body that is starting to falter in his old age. What he lacks in physical strength, he makes up for in wisdom. Trian, the second monk selected to travel with the saint, was abandoned in the monastery at age 13. The young monk is wistful and shy but is eager to follow the reverent Artt to the ends of the earth in service of God's plan. While it is standard for monks to live a meager life of relative poverty, this trio is eschewing even the most basic of provisions for their trip. Artt reminds his companions that God will provide everything they need, so the group faithfully sets sail on their quest to find this promised land. 

"I tell you, Brothers, what seems impossible to us is easy to him."

I have to admit, I normally wouldn't go running to read a historical fiction novel about 7th-century monks. As I read the summary of Emma Donoghue's latest novel Haven, I feared that I may have finally run into a book from the author that just wouldn't be for me. Because her previous novel The Pull of the Stars ended up being my favorite read of 2020, I decided to go against my better judgment and accept a copy of Haven from the publisher. Like her previous book, Haven plants the reader firmly amongst the action, giving us insights into the thoughts and motivation of each of the three main characters as they face an impossible test of faith. It took me a bit longer than I would have hoped to find a rhythm in this writing, but once I was in I couldn't let go. 

Donoghue revels in the mundane, drawing quiet introspective revelations as the monks work to survive on the remote island that they have been called to. The act of maintaining the sabbath while finding food, water, and shelter, sees the plot find a ritualistic repetition akin to the very prayers that the characters chant each day. Make no mistake, these are men of their era, afflicted with blind faith and willful lack of logic that I often found to be frustrating. Had they only thought of the severity of the journey they were embarking upon, much of the conflict in the novel would be unnecessary. Donoghue's commitment to faithfully portraying the mindsets of the men in this time means that they truly remain optimistic that God will give them everything they need, even as cracks in the vision that brought them to this place begin to form. Things come to a head as the threesome each succumbs to their own mortal flaws, bringing the book to a crescendo that seems inevitable if a bit unsatisfying. Haven won't go down as my favorite book by the author, but it is nonetheless another example of her ability to craft a work of historical, emotional, and literary heft. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 35)

This entry was posted on Monday, August 22, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “Haven by Emma Donoghue”

  1. I must admit, a story about 7th century monks on a mission to find an island is not something I would necessarily rush to pick up. And the repetition throughout their journey seems a bit tedious. But I can see how Donoghue's research and dedication to the story could be compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the summary does little to inspire confidence. Most people's reaction to me describing it has been, "Why on earth would you want to read that?!" Still, I find Donoghue to be surprising in that she can turn the mundane into something special!

      Delete
  2. This doesn't sound like something that I would read. Thanks for letting us know about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This definitely won't be for everyone, but I do recommend you read some of her works at some point. She's such a gifted author!

      Delete
  3. This one is probably not the book for me. But I'm glad you found it compelling enough to keep you reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any of her other works? I'm almost certain you would actually appreciate her writing!

      Delete
    2. She's one of those authors that I've been meaning to read for years. I loved the movie version of Room, but never got around to reading the book. Of all her books, which is your favorite?

      Delete
    3. For the pure thriller/can't put down read you can't go wrong with Room. I also really love The Pull of the Stars as a fantastic work of historical fiction.

      Delete
  4. The plot doesn't sound like my cup of tea, it is an usual sort of premise, but happy you ended up enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I read that summary and was not convinced. Leave it to Emma Donoghue to prove me wrong haha.

      Delete
  5. This sounds quite good, and I've been seeing it around a bit lately. I can definitely see where it would be frustrating when you can see problems coming, and it feels like they're relying on faith maybe to the detriment of some solid planning! But I'm really curious about this and may try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Donoghue's writing rarely disappoints!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't tend to pick up a book about 7th century monks either. I have not had the chance to read this author's work yet but it sounds like I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try this one, or the previous one. I have only read one by her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend her. I've never been disappointed by any of her books!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.