The Villa by Rachel Hawkins

Happy New Year! It is crazy to think that A Book A Week began way back in 2012, but I'm so excited to continue my goal of reading a new book every week and sharing my reviews with you. Over the years, my reading tastes have grown and evolved to encompass various genres and authors. My soft spot, though, will always be with mysteries and thrillers. I began last year by reading Rachel Hawkin's popcorn thriller, Reckless Girls. This year, I was pleased to once again accept a copy of her latest book/audiobook from her publisher. The Villa sees Hawkins apply her signature style to a multigenerational thriller, which is a fantastic way to kick off this new year of reading. 

The year is 1974. The place is the gorgeous Villa Rosato, Italy. Rock superstar Noel Gordon has rented the estate as an artists' retreat. He hopes that his time in the home will yield his next bestselling album. Noel has invited songwriting hopeful Pierce Sheldon to join him, and Pierce brings his mistress, the young Mari, and her sister Lara. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll ensue, but not in the way you might expect. By the end of the summer, Mari will write one of the most influential horror novels of all time, and Lara will record a bestselling album. The art that flows from that time is notable in its own right, but this is not what the Villa is best known for. You see, that summer also ends up with Pierce being brutally murdered in a killing that will forever stain the reputation of the Italian chateau. 

In the present day, the villa, now renamed Villa Aestes, is playing host to a new generation of creatives. Emily and Chess were inseparable childhood friends who both ended up with varying degrees of success as authors. Chess is a bestselling self-help guru, who has taken the world by storm. Emily has had more moderate achievements as the author of a series of cozy mysteries that are largely inspired by her own personal life. Both friends have drifted from each other over the years, focussing on their own lives and careers. This girl's trip to Italy serves as a chance to reconnect while also putting in the hours needed to stave off both authors' impending deadlines. Emily's curiosity about the place they are staying leads her to discover new aspects of the famed murders that occurred there decades ago. Secrets about the past, both of this place and of their friendship, come to light, causing tensions to mount between the two best friends. Before the summer's end, the villa may just claim another victim. 

The Villa marks Hawkins's third foray into thrillers and is her most unique and intriguing novel to date. She takes inspiration from Fleetwood Mac, the Manson murders, and the creation of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, combining these seemingly eclectic elements into a story that brims with tightly wound suspense. This is much different from the popcorn reads she has previously presented. While there are still plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing, The Villa spends more time building atmospheric chills by alternating past and present perspectives. I simultaneously read and listened to this book, sucked into the spell that it cast upon me. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, Hawkins threw in one more twist that I genuinely didn't see coming. The Villa is another solid page-turner from an author who is becoming one of my go-to writers for this genre. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 1)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 3, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

15 Responses to “The Villa by Rachel Hawkins”

  1. You make this one sound really good! I have yet to read any of Hawkins' books, but I look forward to trying several of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun as light, popcorn style reads. They do tend to veer into the outlandish, but you just have to be willing to go along with the ride.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to see that you enjoyed this one. I have a copy of this audiobook and I am really looking forward to listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audiobook really helped to bring this story/characters to life!

      Delete
  3. I have only read Hawkins' contemporaries, but it's great to see her genre jump so successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, I only know her from the thrillers. I'd love to see that different side of her writing!

      Delete
  4. I'm a big mystery/thriller reader as well, but I've yet to read Hawkins. It sounds like I need to start with this one. I love me a slow-building, atmospheric setting/vibe. Glad you enjoyed this one so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is definitely my favorite thriller that she's done. The previous two got a bit too far-fetched for my tastes.

      Delete
  5. I’d love to read this. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes for an entertaining and quick read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the second fantastic review I have read for this. I have enjoyed the author previously, so this is going on my list! Great review Ethan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite of her thrillers so far!

      Delete
  8. I think The Villa is my favorite to date from Rachel Hawkins! Even with most of the characters being unlikable, I still rooted for Mari and Emily. Is it bad that I felt like they served out some well-deserved justice? Well, I guess it came at a cost for both women. Emily saddled with Chess and Mari's story was just kind of tragic by the end. The audio was fantastic! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I wasn't mad that justice was served haha!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.