Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak

Even though the spooky season has ended, my appetite for creepy books remains unabated. Jason Rekulak's Hidden Pictures generated quite a buzz when it hit the shelves last year. This thrilling work with a touch of horror captured readers' imaginations and secured a spot on my ever-expanding TBR list. Although it languished on my stack of library books for most of October, patiently awaiting my attention, I've finally found the time to dive into it. I'm even more happy to confirm that the excitement surrounding this book is entirely justified.

Mallory Quinn has hit rock bottom and is now determined to climb her way back up. She's successfully completed a rehab program, taking control of her drug addiction and resolving to lead a clean and honest life moving forward. With her recovery firmly on track, Mallory is now prepared to embark on the next phase of rebuilding her life: seeking stable employment. Her sponsor introduces her to a family needing a live-in nanny for their young son. This potential opportunity could be the perfect stepping stone for Mallory as she transitions into this new chapter of her life.

Ted and Caroline Maxwell approach the decision to hire Mallory with justifiable caution. They are well aware of her troubled past, and while they are empathetic to her desire for a fresh start, their primary concern is the safety of their five-year-old son, Teddy. Mallory, understanding the Maxwell's apprehensions, is eager to demonstrate her commitment to her own recovery and Teddy's well-being. She willingly agrees to undergo random drug testing at their discretion and assures them that her intentions are solely focused on what is best for their son. Ultimately, Teddy himself plays a pivotal role in the decision, forming an instant connection with Mallory.

Teddy, typically a sweet and introverted child known for filling his sketchpad with innocent childhood drawings, surprises everyone when he suddenly creates a much darker image – a man dragging a lifeless woman's body in a forest. As time passes, his drawings become shockingly realistic and disturbing, defying the artistic abilities expected of a child his age. The origins of these macabre creations puzzle Mallory, who fears their implications. Yet, her utmost priority is safeguarding Teddy. She is committed to unraveling the mystery that shrouds these unsettling images and ensuring Teddy's safety before it's too late.

In Hidden Pictures, Jason Rekulak reimagines classic horror tropes, giving readers a fresh perspective on the genre. While I typically favor audiobooks, this novel shines best in its physical form. This preference arises from Rekulak's innovative use of the child's drawings to enhance the narrative. As each new image is revealed, it is presented in full on the page, allowing readers to share in the protagonist's shock and uncertainty. The supernatural elements combine with an unreliable narrator who is refreshingly aware of just how unreliable she must seem. I found myself utterly engrossed in the pages of this book, unable to stop reading until I reached its thrilling conclusion.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 73)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

17 Responses to “Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak”

  1. I love it when drawings are included in a book like this! And that supernatural element is also a favorite of mine. I don't know who I don't have this one on my TBR list already, but it's definitely going on there now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a unique take on this kind of story. I can't wait for you to experience it!

      Delete
  2. I did not read a lot in October, and sadly no spooky ones ;( Might have to do a spooky November

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nightmare November has a certain ring to it haha

      Delete
  3. Oh that does sound creepy. A kid being able to draw realistic pictures is cool unless those pictures are creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't this good?! I loved it too. I did listen to the audio, but as the story progressed I looked at the illustrations too. That twist at the end! I'm still on a horror/mystery/thriller kick as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good! I'm usually an audio fan too, but this one just begs to be read in the physical form.

      Delete
  5. I still think the audio would work, as the story is certainly engaging. Still, I would have been sad to miss out on the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened and loved this, but how neat that you got to see the actual drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do scary, but I was excited to hear the pictures were included in the book. Seems important based on the bits you revealed in your review. Glad this lived up to the hype for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more suspenseful than outright terror, but it does have horror aspects that may be too much for some readers. The pictures really make the story come to life!

      Delete
  8. "The supernatural elements combine with an unreliable narrator who is refreshingly aware of just how unreliable she must seem."
    Refreshingly indeed! I don't think I've ever read a book where this was addressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my pet peeves with unreliable narrators lol

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.