Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel

 "A life lived in simulation is still a life."

Emily St. John Mandel is an author who has been on my radar for several years. I've seen glowing reviews of her previous novels The Glass Hotel and Station Eleven, but I've never gotten around to reading them. Like other much-hyped books, I added them to my TBR list and then ignored them. Her latest novel, Sea of Tranquility, was published earlier this year, and the reviews have been glowing once again. Comparisons to David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, a novel that both mesmerized and confounded me, piqued my interest even more. I decided it was finally time to read a Mandel novel, and Sea of Tranquility would be a perfect place to begin. 

What is reality? How do we decipher what is valid from what is imagined? These questions mark the impetus of this novel. It opens in 1912 with Edwin, a young man who has been castigated from his family and his home country in embarrassment. He couldn't keep his mouth shut, and now he finds himself halfway across the world, landing in Western Canada's wilderness. As he wanders the forest, Edwin steps into a place that leaves him questioning his very sanity. "He steps forward into a flash of darkness, like sudden blindness or an eclipse. He has an impression of being in some vast interior, something like a train station or a cathedral, and there are notes of violin music, there are other people around him, and then an incomprehensible sound—."

Just as we begin to grapple with the implications of what Edwin experiences, Mandel thrusts us forward a hundred years. We see a composer giving a lecture about his composition that centers around a video recorded by his sister. In the recording, she is seen walking through the forest when time and space seem to blip. Again, before we have time to wrestle with what we read, Mandel moves us forward to the year 2203. We meet a novelist who is on a book tour promoting her latest work. The tour has taken her from her home on a moon colony back to earth. As she laments missing her family, news breaks of a plague beginning to spread on the planet. In a fiction that mirrors Madel's own reality, the author must face promoting her book amongst the spread of a life-threatening illness. 

It isn't until the mid-point of the novel that things begin to come into focus. We land in the year 2401, to a world (galaxy may be more apt) that is completely transformed. Humanity exists in domed colonies, a reality that is both alien and familiar. Gaspery, a man we've seen glimpses of in the preceding stories, is fully introduced as a nightwatchman of a hotel, a job he hates. His sister works at a more exciting, but secretive, gig as a scientist who has been investigating anomalies in time and space. She reveals to Gaspery that different centuries and realities are bleeding into each other, an oddity that is without explanation. Gaspery, desperate to shake his dead-end job, agrees to assist her in traveling across time to get to the bottom of this strange aberration. 

With Sea of Tranquility Emily St. John Mandel takes her readers on a journey across time and space, daring us to ask big questions and to find answers nestled in unlikely places. From a sheer construction standpoint, the novel is a mastery of craft and plotting. Each story corresponds to the next and vice versa creating a nesting doll effect. Yes, other authors have used this device before, but perhaps none to such a rewarding effect. I'll admit to being a bit discombobulated at first. It was hard to see the forest from the trees, especially as Mandel thrust us forward in time with each new section. This confusion is resolved by introducing a character who is able to traverse time, giving us readers someone to help make sense of how everything is connected. Despite the narrative wizardry at play here, Mandel manages to ground her work in characters who glimmer with reality, even when that reality is so different from our own. Ultimately it is the way these characters, love, and lament that makes Sea of Tranquility truly shine. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 45)


This entry was posted on Monday, October 17, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel”

  1. I'm like you...I've been aware of Mandel's books and their popularity for years, but I've never read any of them. This one sounds interesting, and quite unique. I'm still trying to decide if I want to read it, or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read other books that use similar narrative gymnastics, and I have to say that this one is by far the most accessible/readable. I'd say if you are interested, this would be a good one to read.

      Delete
  2. This book and author have been on my wishlist forever. I admit you have me curious. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a read! It will leave you thinking about it long after you finish.

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to read this one for a while. I've heard such good things. Same with Station eleven by her. I didn't realize this one involved time travel though, or overlapping realities. Sounds awesome! I need to go out and get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely made me eager to read more from her. I've heard great things about Station Eleven!

      Delete
  4. This one seems to lean more into literary/speculative fiction than I typically reach for, but it definitely sounds thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the change of pace for me too, but I'm happy to have read it.

      Delete
  5. I was glad you admitted to being a bit discombobulated. My head was trying to keep track of all that time and space. I do enjoy books that make me think, and it sounds like this one would leave a reader with quite a bti to chew on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't something I'd regularly pick up, but I sure am glad that I did.

      Delete
  6. I'm not really sure if my English is good enough to understand this book, I'm having a hard time with the synopsis as it is xD But it sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assure you that Mandel does a much better job of things than my attempt at a synopsis does haha.

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard of this author but the book sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name does not tell me.much. i have to check her other books :)
      Very interesting book too

      Delete
    2. Apparently, there are connections to her other books in this one, but I haven't read them.

      Delete
  8. I watched a bit of Station Eleven and there seem to be some similarities here.

    I'm not typically into time travel but this sounds so interesting.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to read her other books now. How's the show?

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.