Livid by Patricia Cornwell

This is the time of year when every day seems busier than the last. It can be a miracle to cook dinner in the evening, let alone sit down to read a book. With a family wedding later this week, it seems like this trend will continue for a while. While I may not be as quick to spend time reading physical books, I almost always have an audiobook going. Last night, as I frantically rushed to meal prep for the week, I managed to finish listening to Patricia Cornwell's latest Kay Scarpetta novel. After a kind of soft reboot of the long-running series with last year's release Autopsy, Cornwell's twenty-sixth installment in the series, Livid, proves there are still plenty of fresh cases for Scarpetta to solve. 

When we first reconnect with Kay Scarpetta, the chief medical examiner is on the stand as an expert witness in a murder trial. The book's title comes into play in two ways. First, it describes the state of the victim's body, colored with the bluish-gray twinge that results from spending time floating in the water. Concurrently, livid is an apt description for the mob of protestors outside of the courtroom. You see, Kay's findings have led her to believe that the death of this victim was merely an unfortunate accident, not the violent attack of a spurned man. The prosecuting attorney is diligently working to discredit Kay, her science, and her already contentious reputation. 

Later on, Kay is called to the scene of an unusual death. The deceased just so happens to be the sister of the judge who is hearing the controversial trial that Kay was just testifying in. Even odder, though, is the sheer amount of death in the area. Not only is there a dead woman, but it seems that every living thing in the radius of the scene has suddenly died too. Kay is surrounded by dead birds and insects as if someone switched a button and eliminated all of the life around them. This is no ordinary murder. The means by which this crime was committed has huge ramifications that reach much further than this single case. As her life and livelihood simultaneously come under fire, Kay will have to pull all of her resources to solve this case and prevent a national security crisis. 

I've read the Scarpetta series off and on for the better part of 15 years. The books are at their best when they combine cutting-edge science with chilling mysteries, and Livid further proves that point. Rather than shy away from the timely, if a bit silly, political debates around the validity of science, Cornwell dives right into the thick of it. I found her imagined throng of protestors to be eerily reminiscent of the group that overtook the US capitol last year. The anger of those misinformed souls, both in real life and in this fiction, gives the entire story an underlying tension. Cornwell captures the uncertainty of these times with a precision that sees her characters racked with pressure. She balances this paranoia with a mystery that is rooted in a doomsday scenario ripped straight from the headlines. All in all, Livid is another solid entry in the Scarpetta series. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 57)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 6, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Livid by Patricia Cornwell”

  1. You read a lot of long running series, and I am impressed when the author can still keep it fresh and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like she's really found her stride with the soft reboot she did last year. The characters are the most engaging they've been in years.

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since I've read one of Cornell's Kay Scarpetta novels. I remembering really liking the first ones in the series. The unusual death scene in this one does sound very interesting and intriguing. And listening to this one while you get other chores done is smart; I should start checking out more audiobooks just for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the early books in the series too. Somewhere along the way she became very unlikable, and the series lost its luster. The recent installments seem to have found their way back though!

      Delete
  3. I can never listen and cook. Maybe cos I listen at a too high speed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get some of my most productive listening in when I'm cooking, even at 2x speed. I do have to pause sometimes thought to think about what I'm doing!

      Delete
  4. Like you, I've read this series on and off for years. I jumped back in again with her reboot and enjoyed it. I have an audio request for this one at my library and I'm looking forward to diving in as soon as it's available. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I love passing time cooking and doing chores by listening to an audio. Easiest way to fit in books when the schedule is hectic. I just read your comment above and I do the same thing. Especially if it's a recipe I haven't made before, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed Autopsy. She seems to have really found her footing with the series. I can't wait to read your thoughts on this one!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this one but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a favorite author of mine, and this one really continues a positive trend in the series since it was rebooted last year.

      Delete
  6. Yes, in busy times I always try to listen to my Audiobook in the car a lot :) It does help! Have a great time at the wedding :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.