Shadow Prey by John Sandford

What's the longest-running series that you read? In the crime fiction genre, establishing a well-received character and spawning a series featuring that character is like capturing lightning in a bottle. Not every detective is shaped up to star in a series. John Sandford's Lucas Davenport is one who has withstood the test of time. The first book to feature the character, Rules of Prey, was published back in 1989, and the 32nd installment Righteous Prey released earlier this year. I've read and enjoyed both books, but I haven't routinely kept up with the series. In fact, I've only read that first novel and the latest two releases. Needless the say the Lucas Davenport of thirty years ago is quite different from the character that appears in Sandford's series today. I've enjoyed Sandford's writing enough that I decided to venture back in time again and pick up the second book in the Prey series. 

Murder is a grisly affair no matter how you shake it. The brutal execution of a slumlord in Minneapolis, an up-and-coming politician in New York, and a judge in Oklahoma City would be newsworthy in their own right, but it is the similarities in each instance that make the murders all the more unsettling. Each of the victims' throats has been ritualistically slashed with a type of knife most commonly used in Native American ceremonies. The killer seems driven by a primal force to murder. Not even those closest to him will be able to stop his reign of terror. 

Lucas Davenport, an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, is called to the case when the first murder occurs. He's got a few things working against him from the very start. For one, his usual strategy of planting himself within the community and working with his contacts to gather information is narrowed by the close-knit Native American community's unwillingness to work with an outsider. He's also got a few distractions on the home front. He's still in a relationship with the mother of his young daughter, but Lucas's eyes have strayed to that of a New York cop who is also investigating the murders. As his personal life begins to tangle, the killer and those who are driving the crimes set their target upon him. He'll have to overcome every obstacle to make it out alive and bring the murderer to justice. 

Books can be seen as something of a time capsule to the time in which they were written. Shadow Prey, the second Davenport novel by John Sandford, is certainly an example of this idea. Davenport is still in his raw form. Sandford works to give him some higher stakes in this book, but I could tell that the character lacked the confidence that he owns in the more recent installments. The underbaked elements of the character aside, it is the cultural ramifications of this book that really took me out of the entertainment. The main plot centers around some troubling stereotypes about Native Americans that I found to be alarmingly out of date. Sandford toys with a few social commentary moments, but they just ring so wrong to my modern ears. Having read his more recent works, it is clear that Sandford, like many of us, has evolved with the times. Still, some of the more blatant elements of this novel are pretty tough to reconcile with. There are the bones of a solid thriller here, but I feel this story may be one that is better left in the past. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2022, 59)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

14 Responses to “Shadow Prey by John Sandford”

  1. Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as you had hoped. I've had feelings like this when reading a book before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think some books are better left in the time they come from.

      Delete
  2. Early books in series are sometimes lacking when compared to later books, that's for sure. The opposite can be true, too, where the first books are the best and the later ones feel like the author is just phoning it in. I think the longest series I've read fairly consistently is Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone mysteries, though I still haven't read the last two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to read Grafton's books. I've had A is for Alibi on my shelf for years!

      Delete
  3. I've never read Sanford. Maybe it's best to pick up one of his newer installments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first book, but this one just hasn't aged well at all.

      Delete
  4. I was in high school when this series began. That is a long time! I think it's tricky to read older books through a modern lens, and I think you may be younger than when this book was written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this book came out a year before I was born! It is good to see that society has evolved since it was written haha.

      Delete
  5. I guess he has evolved with the times now, so that is good

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool to see how the character and author have evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that I read this author once a long time ago. It can be a very eye opening experience when you pick up a book from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His newer books are still good fun, but I was a bit taken aback by the content of this one. Times have definitely changed for the better!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.