Top 5 Favorite Reads of 2022

2022 was a banner year for A Book A Week in more ways than one. In January, I celebrated my milestone 10th anniversary of the blog. It is crazy to think I've been doing this for as long as I have. The connections this outlet has afforded me have been the number one thing sustaining me through all these years. I'm so grateful for the friendships I've made and the fantastic books I've been exposed to. 

In addition to this being a landmark year for the blog, I also achieved a personal best of reading 59 books this year. There are always way more books on my TBR than I have time to read. I'm at a point where I enjoy reading most of the books I pick up (I usually set a book down if I don't like it), so distilling my reads down to 5 favorite titles proved to be more challenging than usual. I was surprised that the books I most enjoyed were also all published this year. That speaks to the quality and diversity of selections that were published this year. Without further ado, here are my Top 5 Favorite Reads of 2022 listed in the order that I read them. 

Unmasked by Paul Holes

Part memoir, part true crime, Unmasked sees Paul Holes recall his life as a criminal investigator on some of the most high-profile cases in recent history. From bringing the Golden State Killer to justice to investigating the murder of Laci Peterson and the kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard, Holes has had a front-row seat to the headline-grabbing crimes that have captured our nation. He writes of balancing the pressures of his demanding work with trying to be present for his young family. The book succeeds as both a fascinating inside look at the mechanisms of solving a crime and as a memoir of one man who has dedicated his entire life to seeking justice.

Read the full review

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance by Alsion Espach

The loss of a child brings the kind of inconsolable grief that defies comprehension. Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance sees Alison Espach present her own contemplations upon grief and loss through the eyes of a young woman directly in the process of dealing with it. Espach doesn't pretend to have answers. Instead, she writes an intimate novel that allows her characters to naturally go through life, making decisions that seem authentic to each of them. I was riveted by this challenging yet rewarding work. 

Read the full review

Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley

It is hard to comprehend that Nightcrawling is a debut novel. Mottley has crafted a narrative akin to the best writing from the most seasoned and celebrated authors. Inspired by the true story of a young girl who was physically and mentally taken advantage of by a group of corrupt police officers, Mottley weaves the crumbs of that reality into a sobering portrait of poverty in America. Nightcrawling is a phenomenal debut from a promising author who is worthy of all the hype and praise she has already received.

Read the full review

The Measure by Nikki Erlick

What would you do if you knew the exact length of your life? In her debut novel, Nikki Erlick takes this grand "what if" concept of moral ambiguity and unleashes it upon an ensemble cast of well-crafted characters. Erlick effortlessly shifts perspectives as she tells the stories of people coming to terms with the lengths of their lives. The Measure is a novel that dares its reader to contemplate their own life and place within the world. You'll be thinking about it long after you turn the final page.

Read the full review

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

It is rare to find a nearly perfect book, but this one is. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a big book filled with big ideas, all grounded through some of the most brilliantly crafted characters I've ever read. We follow these characters through three decades of life, feeling companionship, exhilaration, frustration, and heartbreak. Zevin shifts perspectives between the main characters, ensuring the plot moves in a way that is authentic and ever-compelling. By the end, Sam and Sadie are completely known to us, as real as the people we know in our own lives. I don't often heap universal praise upon a novel, but this is easily my favorite book of the year. 

Read the full review

Have you read any of these books? What was your favorite read of 2022? As always, thanks for supporting A Book A Week. I can't wait to share all the great reads that 2023 will bring. 


This entry was posted on Saturday, December 31, 2022 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “Top 5 Favorite Reads of 2022”

  1. I actually read one of these (Tomorrow X3). I am a fan of Zevin's stories and have enjoyed all the ones I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found some books you liked.

    Happy New Year! Here’s to a fabulous 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the goal haha. I hope you have a great 2023!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these but Unmasked sounds like something that would interest me. Happy Blogoversary! Hope you have many more wonderful reading/blogging years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unmasked was the first great book I read this year. I can't wait to see what books will come my way for this next year.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Ethan! You did read some good books this year...a lot of which are on now on my TBR list. I especially want to read Unmasked, The Measure and Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow. I'm very glad I found your blog, and I love reading your posts and chatting books with you. Happy 2023. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've really appreciated your virtual friendship over the years.

      Delete
  5. I loved Unmasked! It was such a well written and interesting book. I hope to read Tomorrow x3 sometime soon. Congratulations on 10 years, Ethan! I am so glad that we crossed paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unmasked was the best nonfiction I've read in a while! Hope you have a great 2023!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on ten years of blogging! What a great milestone. It's been fun getting to know you through your blog over the years.

    I haven't read any of these, although most of them are on my TBR. I've been avoiding true crime for the last decade or so, but UNMASKED does sound really good. I might have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has some pretty gruesome content ( I mean what murder isn't gruesome?), but I felt he really balanced that with his life story. There's an obvious respect for the life of the victims.

      Delete
  7. God books last year :D I hope the same in the new year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 10 years, Ethan! I've seen so many raves for Zevin's Tomorrow x3 - it's definitely on my radar for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It seems to be the buzzy book of 2022, but I think the hype is warranted!

      Delete
  9. I read (as Sam calls it) Tomorrow x3 lol and I can't say it was a favorite but it stuck with me in a way most books don't. And, as I told, you on IG, I wanted to rec it to you because I thought it would be a book you enjoyed.

    Belated - Happy New Year!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you know what kind of books will click with me. It is one of the best things about having book blogging buddies! Hope you find some great reads this year!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.