Frozen Detective by Amanda Flower

Is anyone else still in a post-holiday daze? Despite my best efforts this week, all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a good book and a few too many snacks. Alas, the real world has other plans in mind. I still have to work, and I have plenty of chores to complete around the house. The only positive about having to complete the tasks that I may or may not have ignored throughout the last couple of weeks is that they give me an excuse to listen to an audiobook as I work. As I begrudgingly took down the Christmas decorations and tidied up my home, I listened to Frozen Detective, the second cozy mystery to feature Amanda Flower's private investigators Piper and Porter. 

On the heels of their last case, Darby Piper and her investigative partner Tate Porter are in search of their next gig. It comes in the form of Tate's former classmate Cece. She is married to a much older dermatologist husband. The couple runs a lucrative skin care company and is preparing to host a group of their associates at Cece's family ski lodge. With new deals set to be announced, the event needs to go off without a hitch. There's only one problem. Cece's husband is receiving threatening letters. She invites Piper and Porter to attend the event, undercover as a couple. As the weekend begins, the threats are realized and Cece's husband is murdered. A snowstorm leaves the attendees stuck in the villa, with everyone there a potential suspect. 

Cozy mysteries typically provide a quick pace, quirky characters, a bit of humor, and a fun mystery to latch onto. All of those elements are present in Frozen Detective. I accepted an audio copy from Flower's publisher and was happy to dive into the series with this second installment. Although I didn't read the first book, I never felt lost in this one. Flower fills in the blanks about the previous book just enough to keep first-time readers abreast of the most important character beats. The story plays out as a clever closed-room mystery. Laura Faye Smith's narration perfectly captured the easy-going tone of the writing. Before I knew it, I'd finished listening to the book and was thoroughly entertained. Even though the ending of this one was apparent long before the conclusion, I enjoyed the characters enough to get a kick out of it. Flower teases the next case at the very end of this book. I can't wait to give that one a listen too. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 2)

This entry was posted on Friday, January 6, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “Frozen Detective by Amanda Flower”

  1. Going back to work this week has been so hard! I, too, just want to curl up on the couch with a warm blanket, lots of snacks and read and read and read. But real life calls and into the cold I go. January's always a hard month for some reason. Glad you started yours off with a fun mystery. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As hard as getting back in the routine has been, I did anticipate it. To cure this blues, I've got a cruised booked for the middle of the month!

      Delete
    2. Yay for you! Where will you be cruisin'?

      Delete
    3. Western Caribbean, so Honduras and Mexico. I can't wait!

      Delete
    4. It sounds wonderful. And warm! I hope you have an amazing time.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a cozy mystery yet but one day I will. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The setup gives me Agatha Christie vibes! I like it when I have a good audio to help me pass the time with chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely pays tribute to those classic locked room mysteries!

      Delete
  4. I used to read tons of cozies. This one I like the cover of, because of the snow and winter setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting of this one was perfect for this time of year. It made me really miss the snow!

      Delete
  5. Poor Cece's husband. Sounds like a lot of great elements were included in this story. I have read a few cozies, and they always seem to hit the spot. I think because I don't read many, I can still be surprised, but even if I guessed where it was going, I am like you, ok as long as I was entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it seems like most modern mystery/thriller books have gone for shock value. Each one has to have the next great, unbelievable twist. That's all good and fun, but sometimes I just want a straight forward mystery. Cozies fill that gap.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like something that I would like. I tend to be drawn to cozies when life starts feeling a little busy and I just need something light and fun. I will have to keep this series in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun. I could see you enjoying this one!

      Delete
  7. Oh do not mention snacks. I am addicted to chocolate now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back from a week long cruise, and I realized I hadn't made any chex mix for the holidays. As much as I don't need anything to snack on, I definitely am making a giant batch of chex mix now haha!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.