Eyes of Prey by John Sandford

Like many readers, I'm faced with the eternal problem of having more books to read than I'll ever have time to finish. There's just not enough time in the day to work through my extensive backlog of titles. Even worse off are the countless series that I've neglected to stay current on. With a few long-running crime series numbering 30+ installments, it seems like an insurmountable task to keep up with them. Determined not to let these series fall by the wayside, I've decided to start working on one at a time. First up is John Sandford's Prey series. I've read and enjoyed the more recent novels, and started the first book several years ago. The second book, read last year, didn't hold up to the standards of what is culturally acceptable today, but I've decided to give book number three a go. 

This go-around sees Lucas Davenport face off against two bad guys. The villainous duo comes to an agreement akin to the classic Strangers on a Train setup, wherein they each commit a murder to benefit the other. As is often the case in a partnership of this kind, one half of the group is much more cunning than the other, and he's the one pulling the strings in a terrifying direction. The other man becomes more of the muscle than the brain, exacting the mastermind's evil agenda with ghastly precision. From the get-go, their carefully laid plan goes slightly awry leaving the duo scrambling to stay ahead of the police who are hot on their trail. Davenport is working through a serious bout of depression. As such, he won't let anything, not even the law, get in his way of catching these killers. 

This is the darkest of the Prey series so far. John Sandford has imagined a killer who is as cunning as he is evil. It's a combination that makes for quick reading and ever-tightening suspense. The reader is privy to the identity of the killers from the very start of the book, making the thrill of reading more about seeing Davenport chase down the clues and come to the conclusion that we already know. Nevertheless, I couldn't put this one down. Beyond having the best villain thus far, Eyes of Prey sees Sandford begin to dig deeper into the emotions of his main character. By focussing on Davenport's debilitating depression and reckless response to it, Sandford allows his character to be more than just an action hero. He's becoming a person whom the reader can actually care about. That makes this my favorite of the first three Prey books. The end leaves plenty of room for the story to continue, so I can't wait to keep reading this series. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 11)

This entry was posted on Friday, February 24, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

8 Responses to “Eyes of Prey by John Sandford”

  1. I've been struggling lately with trying to manage my To Read lists, and the books I own that I haven't read yet, and all the library holds, while trying to keep current with all my favorite series, and also try to fit in new series and other new books...it's a lot! I've got John Sandford on my list of authors I want to try, but I'm not sure I want to start yet another series I'll never be able to keep up with. I need a year off just to read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Davenport series is especially daunting with over 30 books. If you want a nice taste Sandford, I'd recommend the Virgil Flowers series instead. It has less books, and I actually enjoy the character more.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful thing about those long running series is getting to see the character grow so much. I have to say, I admire your dedication to those long series. I have commitment issues when it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only three books in, so don't applaud me just yet haha!

      Delete
  3. It is hard keeping up with all the books! I wish I had more time, too. I've never read Sanford but I do love mysteries. I have several authors in this genre that are auto buy every time they come out with a new one. I'll have to give him a shot sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recommended to Lark above, his Virgil Flowers books are a great, more manageable place to begin!

      Delete
  4. That eternal struggle is just evil, I need more time, or maybe just more free time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I listen to audiobooks when I'm doing housework or cooking, so that helps a bunch.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.