Roses Are Red by James Patterson

Reading a book each week leaves little time for me to circle back and reread a book that I previously enjoyed. There have been a few humorous occasions where I've found myself accidentally reading a book that I've already read, but those cases aren't intentional. I was then hesitant to accept the new paperback edition of James Paterson's Alex Cross novel Roses Are Red from the publisher. Beyond the fact that I read this sixth installment in the series more than a decade ago, I also have the current thirtieth novel sitting on my TBR. It would make more sense for me to read that one than this reprint. But then the book arrived at my house. I read the synopsis and was reminded how much I enjoyed this old-school Patterson thriller. Despite my best intentions, I couldn't help but crack it open and give it a read. 

A bank heist is no small undertaking. Each detail has to be meticulously planned out. Failure to do so risks the entire operation. No one understands the complexities of this task like the Mastermind. They've overseen several bank robberies in the Washinton D.C. area, leaving a trail of dead bodies along the way. It is these murders that bring the involvement of Metro PD Detective Alex Cross. Cross has a knack for psychoanalysis, and the powers that be want him to stop this 'mastermind' before they strike again. Facing personal turmoil and pressures from interdepartmental jurisdiction wars, Alex will have to mentally fortify himself to face off against the most sadistic killer of his career. 

Over the course of the past thirty novels, Alex Cross has become one of my favorite crime heroes. Revisiting this early installment in the series helped to illustrate how much has changed over the years while reminding me why I fell in love with the character in the first place. There are a few elements like short chapters and driving plots that have become staples in James Patterson's writing. All of those ingredients are present here. In fact, I'd argue that this is one of Patterson's most tightly plotted books of his career. The action and suspense never let up, and there's a twist ending that completely blindsided me. Seriously, I knew how this one ended from the last time I read it, but I was still shaken! The true power of the Cross series has always been the way Alex interacts with his family. As a fan of the books, I enjoyed taking a trip back in time to see the family as they used to be. It really illustrated how complex their development has been over the course of the series. Overall, I enjoyed my time revisiting Roses Are Red. It is as thrilling and entertaining as I remembered it. I'm eager to blast back to the present day and see what Alex Cross is up to next. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 7)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

15 Responses to “Roses Are Red by James Patterson”

  1. Alex Cross is such a great character! I've only read a few of Patterson's books, but I've loved the ones I've read. This one sounds especially good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one builds to a really rewarding/shocking conclusion. The story continues in Violets are Blue, so the two pair nicely.

      Delete
    2. Good to know! I'm putting them both on my To Read in 2023 list.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good, and I know that feeling of TBR pile verse re-read. Sometimes I crack one open thinking I will just re-read a chapter to remember and find myself lost within the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely the case with this one. Once I started reading I just couldn't put it down!

      Delete
  3. I've never read Patterson aside from his co-writing with Clinton. Sounds like I should give this series a try. especially since you've been a fan for over thirty books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Alex Cross series is one of my favorites! There's a few misses of course (how could there not be in such a long series?!) but it is reliable for entertainment every time.

      Delete
  4. I have always wondered about these books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a crazy killer book like this. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so twisty! You should give it a read!

      Delete
  6. That's wonderful that a reread of a thriller/suspense type book was still able to ramp up your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much the big twist still got to me, even though I knew it was coming!

      Delete
  7. I can't think of a better reason to read a book than you still being shook by the ending, even though you'd read this previously!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.