A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay

This month, I'm on a mission to read books by authors I've always heard about but have never read. So far I've tackled books by Alex Finlay and Sally Hepworth. Next up is A Noise Downstairs by author Linwood Barclay. As a lover of the thriller genre, I've heard of Barclay's writing for years. His penchant for tightly plotted standalone thrillers seemed the perfect match for my tastes. As an extra motivation to read his work, I purchased a copy of A Noise Downstairs a couple years ago. It has waited patiently on my shelf since then, and now I have finally given myself an excuse to read it. 

Paul Davis was living a normal life as a family man and college professor when his life was suddenly turned upside down. He was driving along a deserted road late one night and stumbled upon the car of one of his colleagues. To Paul's surprise, the man was disposing of the bodies of his murder victims. Caught in the act, the co-worker turned his attention to Paul, nearly killing him before being apprehended by the authorities. 

Since that night, Paul has suffered from terrible PTSD. He's been unable to fully return to work, and even therapy isn't helping with his flashbacks. In an attempt to help Paul keep his mind off of the horrific events that he lived through, his wife Charlotte gives him a vintage typewriter. She hopes this will inspire Paul to finally start writing the novel that he's always talked about beginning. She can't predict the darkness this object will bring into their home. 

As the details of the murder that Paul stumbled onto come out, it is revealed that the killer forced his victims to type out apologies to him before he ended their lives. Paul is haunted by this fact, and the addition of a typewriter into his home only intensifies his fears. He knows that it is irrational, so he tries to push those fears from his mind. Then one night, he hears the clicking of the typewriter keys coming from his downstairs office. Of course, Charlotte is unable to hear the sound, and an investigation of the office reveals no foul play. But the clicking continues. Each night the noise swells. Soon Paul even begins to find typed notes when he wakes in the morning. Has some cruel twist of fate brought the very typewriter that the victims used into Pauls's home, or is he slowly losing his grip on reality?

A Noise Downstairs sees Linwood Barclay write a wild thrill ride filled with paranoia and suspense. The premise takes some suspension of disbelief, but trust me when I say that it is worth it. Barclay tells his tale from three main perspectives, the main protagonist Paul, his wife, and his psychiatrist. These three separate threads slowly wind together until the full extent of Barclay's narrative prowess is revealed. I couldn't put this one down, and read it in a few short sittings. Seasoned thriller readers like me may think they have the ending of this one all figured out, but I can assure you that Barclay is always a step ahead of you. He smartly plays into the conventions of the genre to set up the ultimate red herring. Just as I thought I had the ending of this one all figured out, a third-act twist came along and set into motion a stream of twisty reveals that had me fully shaken. If you haven't already, go ahead and add A Noise Downstairs to your summer reading list. You won't be disappointed. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 20)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

10 Responses to “A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay”

  1. Okay, I think I have to read this one! That whole nightly clicking of the typewriter and finding typed up notes every morning is kind of awesome. Barclay isn't an author I've read before either, but I've certainly been aware of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a pleasant surprise, a thriller that really got me! I'll definitely be reading more of his books soon!

      Delete
  2. That sounds so good. Reading books that you keep hearing about is a good way to find some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I'm really on a mission to discover some new authors this month.

      Delete
  3. Filled with paranoia and suspense? That does sound like quite the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "can't wait to find out what happens next" kind of read!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, this one sounds fantastic. I don't often go for psychological thrillers but sometimes I get a taste for one and this sounds awesome. I just checked and library has it on audio so I may be listening to this one sooner than later. Great review, Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the audio will be great! I can't wait to see what you think of it!

      Delete
  5. Love that title for a thriller. I get spooked by noises downstairs if I'm upstairs and alone in the house!

    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! My imagination can run a little wild, especially when I'm home alone.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.