I Will Find You by Harlan Coben

My mission to read new to me authors continues, this time with the latest book by thriller author Harlan Coben. Coben is another one of those authors I have always heard about but have never read. I first became familiar with his work years ago after picking up a used paperback copy of his book Tell No One. At the time, Ben Affleck was attached as the director of a film adaptation of the title, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to read the book before the movie arrived. Instead, I procrastinated with the book, and the movie version was quietly scrapped. Coben's work continued to sit on my shelf unread until his publisher reached out with the offer to read his latest novel I Will Find You

The loss of a child is unconscionable. For David and Cheryl Burroughs, it is the single event that completely upturned their lives. Their toddler son Matthew was brutally murdered in their home. David was convicted of the crime, and the couple divorced and went their separate ways. Five years later, Cheryl is remarried and expecting a child. Her life, it seems, is beginning to reset. David is in a much different state. He's spent the last five years confined to his prison cell, all the while professing his innocence. For the entirety of his imprisonment, David has refused any visitors. Even his closest family members have stopped trying to see him. It is unusual then that Cheryl's sister Rachel would be at the jail today. Even more unusual, perhaps, is her persistence to visit David. 

David begrudgingly agrees to see Rachel, curious about why after all this time she would want to speak to him. He couldn't be prepared for the bombshell she is about to reveal. Rachel, a recently disgraced journalist, comes to David with a photograph of a child at a theme park. The child appears to be around eight years old, the exact age his deceased son would have been if he had survived. More startling, the boy is the spitting image of Matthew, a perfect match down to every detail, even the birthmark on his face. Could this truly be Matthew? David and Rachel are both convinced. The only question now is what should they do next. 

I Will Find You left me wondering why it took me so look to read anything by Harlan Coben. The story of a father wrongfully convicted of killing his son and being given a second chance at justice hooked my intrigue from the very first chapter. Yes, the believability around the specifics of the plot is pushed far beyond any sense of plausibility, but I didn't care. This is the kind of escapism thriller that I'm able to get lost in and just enjoy the ride. Think of this book as you would a crowd-pleasing summer action movie. You'll root for the main characters, be annoyed by the people against them, and cheer as the inevitable ending eventually arises. There's nothing mind-blowing about it, but you can't deny the entertainment factor. Sometimes, that is the exact kind of read that I need. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from start to finish, and can't wait to dive into more of Harlan Coben's books. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 21)

This entry was posted on Monday, April 17, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “I Will Find You by Harlan Coben”

  1. How could the child be alive if he was murdered.... A clone? I'm confused and intrigued. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It makes for quite the headscratcher!

      Delete
  2. Never tried Coben, though he really is popular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first go with him, but I now see why he's so popular!

      Delete
  3. Glad to know this is another of Coben's good ones! I liked his book Six Years, but was a little disapppointed by The Boy From the Woods...only because it didn't focus on the parts of the premise that interested me the most. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to dive into more of his books, so I'll keep your recommendation in mind!

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear you enjoyed the story even if parts of it were beyond belief. Coben is an author I'd like to try at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe me it took me this long to read him. It certainly won't be my last!

      Delete
  5. I used to read Coben and often borrowed them from my mom's bookshelf as a teen/young adult. This sounds suspenseful. Going to check out the audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how specific authors can trigger memories by that. Nora Roberts brings a similar nostalgia to me.

      Delete
  6. My sister is a big Coben fan and is always trying to get me to read something by him (despite the fact that I rarely read thrillers). It's so great to find a new-to-you author that you click with - especially when they have a lengthy backlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I really want to dig in to his other books.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.