The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth

April is here, and with the new month comes a string of new releases that I've been eager to read. First up is a new thriller from another new to me author Sally Hepworth. I've made it a goal to read titles from authors who I've heard of but have never read, and Hepworth certainly fits that bill. I've been tangentially aware of her writing for several years. Many of my reading friends have praised her standalone thrillers. When her publisher offered me a copy of her latest book via ebook and audio, I jumped at the chance to read it. The Soulmate proves why so many other readers adore Hepworth's writing and has turned me into a fan of her works too. 

It was their dream home. Gabe and Pippa Gerard had built a beautiful life together, and this was the place they would live out the remainder of their days. The house was large enough to hold their growing family for years. The Melbourne estate sat atop a seaside cliff overlooking the waves crashing against sharp rocks below, the peaceful sound of breaking waves filling the air of the entire property. Yes, this was the perfect place to call home. The cliffs bringing such peace to the Gerard family bring something much darker to others. This dark proclivity would soon begin to unravel their dream. 

Besides being known as their dream home, the cliffs on the edge of their property are also known as "The Drop". This steep bluff overlooking jagged rocks below has become a well-known location for people to commit suicide, a place to quickly end their troubled lives. Since moving in, Pippa and Gabe have encountered seven individuals who are ready to end it all. When the couple notices another woman approaching the edge of the rockface, Pippa is concerned but not worried. Surely Gabe will be able to sort this one out too. She watches from afar as Gabe approaches the woman and begins speaking to her. Pippa looks away for only a moment but is shocked when her gaze returns to the scene. Gabe stands at "The Drop", arms outstretched in front of him, and the woman is nowhere to be seen. Is the woman's fall simply a tragic accident, or is something more nefarious at play?

I was immediately consumed by the premise of Sally Hepworth's The Soulmate. Hepworth employs shifting perspectives including the POV of the deceased woman who is stuck in a kind of purgatory watching the events unfold. This tactic can be hit or miss in thrillers like this one, but I found it to really help add to the suspense and sense of paranoia that fills the novel. Barrie Krienik and Jessica Douglas-Henry give voice to these characters in the audio version of the book, and I found their narration to really ground the story in authenticity, even as certain plot points became a bit far-fetched. The Soulmate is a popcorn thriller at its best. Family secrets, tension, and plenty of twists keep the pages turning and had me thoroughly engrossed in the story. This was my first read by Hepworth, but it certainly won't be my last. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 19)

This entry was posted on Friday, April 7, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth”

  1. I haven't read any of Hepworth's novels, but I think she's an author I need to try. I've read other reviews of this novel that were equally positive. And the premise of this one is so intriguing. Great review, Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading and enjoying this one, I've added a few more of her books to my TBR!

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of this one. This is a new author for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The POV of the deceased woman is somewhat strange — I like Hepworth, but i think this might take some getting used to. — Verushka @ Pop. Edit. Lit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works in this story. Think of it less of a supernatural element and more of just another perspective.

      Delete
  4. It's interesting that you'd also get the dead person's perspective. I'm sure it added another layer to this story, and I'm glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did add a different perspective!

      Delete
  5. The deceased character is a great POV to have in the mix. The Lovely Bones comes to mind, but I know I have read others that employed this POV. I liked it every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of The Lovely Bones, but it is a very apt comparison!

      Delete
  6. I was surprised that we had the POV of the deceased woman, too, but like you said it worked. This is the second story I've read by Hepworth and both were hard to put down, twisty mysteries. I enjoy her writing! Glad you did as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely eager to read more of her books!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.