Verity by Colleen Hoover

"I think the idea of me is better than the reality of me."

Colleen Hoover is another one of those authors I've always been aware of but have never read for myself. I don't usually gravitate toward romance novels, so I haven't really been drawn to her books. Verity, however, promised to be more of a psychological thriller, my go-to genre. Like many hyped books, I've owned a copy of Verity for a while, just waiting for the right opportunity to give it a read. When a few of my co-workers mentioned they were planning to give the novel a go, I decided to join in the fun. We committed to reading the first five chapters by the end of the week. Within the next two days, each of us had finished the entire book!

Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling author who is at a kind of crossroads in her life. For the last several months she cared for her terminally ill mother. Being a full-time caregiver left her little time to work on the novel that she was already late on delivering to her publisher. The money that came from the advance of that undelivered work has dried up, and Lowen isn't sure where her next check will come from. But then the break of a lifetime comes her way, the opportunity to co-author the next book in the bestselling series from acclaimed author Verity Crawford. Verity suffered catastrophic injuries in a car crash, leaving her unable to complete the remaining three books in her series. Desperate to earn some money and curious about the mysterious nature of Verity's injuries, Lowen agrees to write the next books in the series. 

As she arrives at the Crawford estate, Lowen can't help but feel out of place. The home is sprawling, filled with the kind of opulence that Lowen can barely comprehend. Beneath the facade of perfection, though, lies a sense of foreboding and tragedy. Lowen begins to comb through Verity's office. She hopes to find an outline of the series or even just the next book. Amongst the scattered piles of papers and boxes, Lowen stumbles upon a full manuscript. It isn't the next book in the series. No, this is something more personal. It is Verity's memoir, an autobiography that chronicles her relationship with her husband, and the tragedies that have filled their lives. It is clear that Verity never meant this work to see the light of day. With each stunning chapter, Verity reveals her true self, a self that is far more troubling and dangerous than Lowen could have ever dreamed. 

I come away from Verity with a fairly mixed reaction. There's no denying that Hoover has written a page-turner that demands the reader's full attention. My group of work friends devoured this book, hanging on to each shocking twist and turn that came next. Hoover ramps up the suspense, winding her story tighter and tighter until it bursts into a conclusion that matches the shock and awe of everything that precedes it. This book is dark. Much of the momentum in the novel is driven by various tragedies, described in detail. As we are given deeper insight into the psyche of the titular character, we learn the true depravity of her being. Graphic depictions of sexual acts and violent thoughts litter the pages of the book. A few of these moments took things further than I'd normally be comfortable reading, but Hoover's driving plot propelled me through even the most troubling moments. Coming away from this book, I can certainly see why it has taken so many readers by storm. It won't be my favorite read of the year, but it sure kept me glued to the pages for the time I spent with it. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 27)

This entry was posted on Friday, May 19, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “Verity by Colleen Hoover”

  1. Even if it wasn't your favorite, the fact that it kept you hooked is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd place this a hair above the usual popcorn read for that exact reason. I couldn't put it down.

      Delete
  2. I had this recommended to me by a friend. I'm still wondering if I should pick it up. I am curious that you were captured by the story to read through it quickly even with your mixed feelings on it. Hoover's writing is compelling, but I usually have to brace myself and prepare for an emotional upheaval while reading. I've loved a few books by her, but also hated one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been interested to learn that there are far more mixed reactions to her writing than I thought. As a fast paced thriller, this was awesome. It is the subject matter that gives me all the hesitations.

      Delete
  3. This one sounds a bit too dark for me right now. Though I do really love that quote at the beginning of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one could be triggering for a lot of readers. The quote captures my thoughts on the book perfectly.

      Delete
  4. Ethan, I never would have imagined you would feature CoHo here. Look at that! I have read several of her books, but not this one. I knew it was dark which is not my goto, but I love that you read it with an open mind and were able to be entertained by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a surprised to have read her as you are haha. I'm not mad at having branched out though!

      Delete
  5. I have this one and I do want to read it. i'm definitely more curious about this than her other books, even though I do like romance.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works as a quick paced thriller quite well. Graphic violence, sex, and abuse can be hard to read about though.

      Delete
  6. I was surprised when I saw on IG that you were reading this. She's not really my jam lol but it's always good to stretch a little because you never know!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be willing to give her another shot, but it would have to really grab my attention.

      Delete
  7. Oh really? Hoover? I have stayed away cos she was so hyped, but maybe...maybe I should try this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be my favorite thriller, but it certainly is a page turner!

      Delete
  8. As a long time fan of Hoover, I was excited to see her branch out and try something totally different with Verity. She pushed some boundaries and it wasn't always an easy reading experience, but that was one of the aspects I appreciated about it. My sister and I still debate the ending. We definitely have differing theories. :) Glad this one hooked you and kept you invested, even if it didn't end up being a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that the ending is kind of open ended depending on your interpretation. It makes for some fun discussions!

      Delete
  9. I've heard very mixed reviews of Hoover's books. My daughter-in-law has been binge-reading them and she says I wouldn't like them. If there's graphic sex and violence, then she's probably right. I'm glad you were entertained with this one and got to read it with friends. That's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sex and violence went a hair too far for my tastes too.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.