Always the First to Die by R.J. Jacobs

I'm officially in summer reading mode. That means I'm looking for the kind of book that I can devour in a single sitting. The faster-paced, the better it is. If it is thrilling, all the better. Does it have to make perfect sense? Of course not! I want pure popcorn reading. Entertain me, and I'm a happy reader. Enter R.J. Jacobs's horror thriller Always the First To Die. It's a quick-paced story about a former horror film actress forced back to the set of a cursed production. Did I mention that it all takes place amongst a raging Florida hurricane? It all culminates into one wild ride. 

Lexi swore she would never return to the Pinecrest Estate. The dilapidated mansion in the Florida Keys is the site where she filmed a horror film many years ago. The shoot was infamous for many reasons. The director was known as a horror genius and had an unconventional approach to capturing his horrific ideas on film. The resulting movie is regarded as his very best, though it is the death on set that the feature is most commonly remembered for. Years later, Lexi's husband, the son of the famed director, returned to the estate to finish writing his book on how to survive a horror film. He was never heard from again. 

Why, you might ask, is Lexi returning to the scene of so much tragedy and heartache? Her teenage daughter has run away to Pinecrest in search of answers about her father and take on the starring role in her grandfather's sequel to the infamous horror film. Desperate to save her daughter from the very nightmare she has strived to forget, Lexi drives full force through a hurricane to bring her daughter home. If she's not careful, history will be destined to repeat itself. 

Always the First to Die sees R.J. Jacobs combine pulpy horror with breakneck suspense into a novel that is impossible to stop reading. I'll be the first to admit that the action and entire scenario are a bit over the top, but I simply didn't care. This is a summer action movie of a novel, and it really owns its genre. Jacobs alternates between the past and present, giving us insight into the events that lead to the present scenario. Each chapter ends on a mini cliffhanger, urging us to keep reading just one more. Before I knew it, I had completely devoured the book. The ending buckles a bit under the weight of itself, but again, this did little to change my enjoyment of it. If you're looking for a solid entertaining read for the summer, look no further. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 37)

This entry was posted on Friday, July 7, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

22 Responses to “Always the First to Die by R.J. Jacobs”

  1. This looks amazing. I love horror books like this. I'm the same way, I don't care if it's cheesy, over the top, doesn't make sense. It's all entertaining.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash
    Bookstagram | Personal Insta | TikTok | Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You understand! Give me a good time and I'm happy!

      Delete
  2. Summer is the time for fast and fun popcorn reads! I have this one on my TBR list, so I'm glad to know it's an entertaining summer horror thriller. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost feel the buildup of all these elements alongside the hurricane. Sounds intense in a good way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets a little out of hand in terms of reality, but I really didn't care!

      Delete
  4. Yes! I thought this was a fun popcorn thriller too! Sort of the over-the-top campy horror flick that keeps your attention to the end. Glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure that I have this book. It sounds like I need to dust it off and read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the right time to pull this one from the backlog!

      Delete
  6. Definitely seems like a good read for the summer. And yes, I do love a quick, enjoyable mystery in the summer time.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read several good reviews for this one. Fast paced reads are perfect for the summer! Even if they don't make total sense lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for a really fun ride, even if it gets kind of silly.

      Delete
  8. I do like the sound of summer reading mode!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I agree -- there's a place and a season for over the top, imo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We're in the thick of it right now!

      Delete
  10. Sometimes over the top makes me roll my eyes, but sometimes - usually when everything else is working so well - I am more than willing to just go with it and enjoy the ride. So glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a difficult balance to strike, but when it works, it can be really fun!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.