Before She Finds Me by Heather Chavez

This year, I've made it my mission to read books by as many new-to-me authors as I can. Since releasing her debut No Bad Deed in 2020, Heather Chavez has taken thriller readers by storm. She's been on my TBR list ever since. I'm sorry that I hadn't read any of her books until her publisher sent me a copy of her latest novel Before She Finds Me. As has often been the case as I've explored new authors, I'm left kicking myself for waiting so long to crack open the pages. 

Julia Bennet is entering a new stage in her life. For the last eighteen years, her main job in life has been co-parenting her daughter Cora with her ex-husband. Today everything will change. Cora is starting college. As move-in day approaches, Julia's main concern is having the day go as smoothly as possible. Cora deserves to have a day when her mother and father can get along. Julia is determined to make that happen, even if her ex is bringing his new wife. Today is about Cora, and everything will go off without a hitch. As the big day comes, everything is going well. Then the shooting starts. Everything is about to change, but not in the way Julia anticipated. 

Ren's job requires her to have an intense focus and attention to detail. She's a trained assassin for hire, you see, so missing a minute detail can mean the difference between life and death. These days, Ren isn't only worried about her own safety. She's pregnant. Every move she makes impacts two lives now. Ren isn't at the school during the shooting, but her husband Nolan is. The pair always loop each other in before taking on a job, so Ren is surprised that Nolan didn't tell her about this one. As she looks deeper into the attack, she begins to question who really hired him. More troubling, why did Nolan choose to keep this job a secret?

Before She Finds Me sees Heather Chavez combine themes of motherhood and family into a tightly wound thriller that had me flying through the pages. She writes of two women from opposite walks of life striving to give their families the best life possible. Chavez alternates chapters between both characters' perspectives, giving readers insight into both women's motivations. Pitting these two strong characters against each other helps to build tension while blurring the lines between good and evil. The book culminates in a twisty shock that left me glued to the final pages. This is what summer reading is all about. Smart characters, clever plotting, and a pace that doesn't let up. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 39)

This entry was posted on Monday, July 17, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Before She Finds Me by Heather Chavez”

  1. Ren's situation is what interests me the most about this one. And I have to know, did you like the twisty shock at the end? Or not? Because I've gotten burned with two unexpected twists at the very end of two recent reads that I did not like at all, which then kind of ruined the whole book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the twists in this one felt earned, so in that regard, I was satisfied by the ending. Chavez does a great job of building empathy for both main characters. That helps the plot elements land much better.

      Delete
  2. i like the new to you authors search. I of course never remember names so many are new to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is when I think a book is new to me only to realize I've already read it! That's happened more often than I care to admit haha.

      Delete
  3. That is quite a set up. I know what you mean about being late to reading new authors. I have been there myself, regretting all the wasted time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just never enough time to get to everyone. Add to that my reading of so many reviews each day, and I've really set myself up for an impossible task. Still, I'm not going to stop trying!

      Delete
  4. Hm, what an interesting duo, in a terrible situation. I don't know this author, but I feel like I should after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The premise of this one is gripping and immediately makes me want to know more. I'm interested in Ren's background and motivations for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love alternating narrators. Having two perspectives in thrillers especially is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially when both of them are so evenly matched. It made for a really tense confrontation.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.