Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

My summer reading has been veering more into the horror side of things recently. I usually try to exclusively read creepy books closer to Halloween, but they've been really hitting the spot this month. One of my favorite spooky reads of the past several years is Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. That story combined a gothic romance with supernatural elements making for a memorable and engrossing read. On the heels of a breakout week at the theatrical box office thanks to "Barbenheimer", it feels serendipitous that Moreno-Garcia's latest effort be set amongst Mexico's film industry. Silver Nitrate, which I received from Moreno-Garcia's publisher, sees the author write an homage to a country's cultural contribution with a suspenseful, magical bend. 

The film industry in Mexico City in the 90s is something of a boy's club. Yes, Montseratt's talents as an audio engineer are undeniable, but the industry at large barely tolerates her, let alone celebrates her skills. She's getting some work, but not enough to financially support herself. As if her troubles at work weren't enough, Montseratt worries constantly about her sister who has cancer. Between the demanding hours caring for her family and the grueling schedule, she keeps to churn out enough film to make ends meet, Montseratt is at her wit's end. 

Things take a turn when Tristán, an aging soap star who happens to be Montseratt's best friend/crush, invites her to dinner with his elderly neighbor. It is revealed that the neighbor is none other than Alberto Urueta, the legendary director of some of Mexican cinema's most revered horror films of the 50s. As the trio talks, Urueta reveals that his only regret from his career is not finishing his final film. The unfinished picture is a legend in and of itself, one that both Tristán and Montseratt want to help bring to light. All they have to do is complete some of the dialogue, a task that Montserrat seems perfectly suited to. As they set out to complete the work, the true nature of the film is revealed, one that explains why the movie may be best left incomplete. 

I have to admit that I wanted to enjoy this book a lot more than I actually did. The premise of a mysterious film that contains otherworldly powers is instantly intriguing. There's only one problem, it took forever to get that hook set up. I'm certain this is just a case of the book not matching my own personal sensibilities, but I kept getting distracted during the opening portion of the work. The setup and the descriptions of the character's various traits just didn't really capture my attention. Once the supernatural element was revealed, the story found a decent momentum. Again, I've read mostly positive reviews of this book, so I seem to be in the minority of reviewers with this opinion. To me, though, Siver Nitrate never truly captures the same sense of magic that Mexican Gothic did. There are plenty of cool moments of revived dead, classic film nods, and an antagonist that is truly wicked. For me, that combined with the early pacing issues makes for a middle-of-the-road read. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 42)

This entry was posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

10 Responses to “Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia”

  1. It's a shame that a great premise was ruined by poor pacing, but I am also a stickler for pacing. There is only so long I can wait for "it" to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just took incredibly too long to get going. By the time "it" began, I was already over it.

      Delete
  2. Mexican Gothic was a good one, and I do like the idea of mysterious film with strange powers. But the slow pacing at the beginning of this one would bug me, too. Horror stories shouldn't drag! They should pull you and not let up until the end, leaving you tense and breathless. At least that's what I always want in a scary supernatural story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Horror stories have to get going from the very start. At least give us a riveting opening chapter before starting all the introductions.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Mexican Gothic, but I was offered an audio of this one and I just downloaded it this morning. Bummer it didn't live up to expectations. Hopefully, the audio will add that something extra that will have me enjoying it more. I'll lower my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be eager to see if the audio version helps hold your attention a bit better!

      Delete
  4. I srsly need to try this author!!! I do finally have one of hers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been pretty hit or miss for me, but others seem to really enjoy her books. Which one did you get?

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as you hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't all be the best thing I've ever read. How boring would that be? haha

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.