The Drowning Woman by Robyn Harding

It has been a while since a thriller indeed thrilled me. As a suspense lover, I am constantly seeking the next book that will keep me on my toes. A downside to reading as many books in the genre as I do is that I can usually spot the twist or end well before reaching the climax. Reading a mystery or thriller is still fun, but not knowing how everything will finish brings an extra layer of suspense and satisfaction. It was with high hopes that I accepted a copy of Robyn Harding's latest The Drowning Woman from her publisher. The premise drew me in, but the twists ultimately turned me into a fan. 

Lee is about as close to rock bottom as she could possibly be. After opening her restaurant, she was living her dream. COVID arrived, crushing Lee's business, romance, and any chance at a real future. Now she travels around with only her beat-up Toyota and a meager amount of clothes. There's really no way things could get any worse. One morning, as Lee lies on the Seattle beach, letting time pass by, she takes notice of a sobbing woman. The lady seems hysterical. Lee gazes on as the woman thrusts herself into the frigid ocean. She's clearly decided to drown herself. Rushing to action, Lee dives into the water after her, hauling the woman back to the safety of the shore. 

The woman Lee rescued is anything but grateful for the good deed. Her name is Hazel, and she's downright furious with Lee. Hazel explains that she's been part of an abusive relationship, and she felt that death was her only way out. Now Lee has robbed her of that escape. After they've parted ways, Lee is certain she's seen the last of Hazel. But the next day, Hazel returns. The pair begin to bond over their collective misfortunes, creating a friendship that shouldn't be. Then one day Hazel makes a bizarre request. She's come up with another way to leave her husband, and she wants Lee to help her disappear. 

As I began reading The Drowning Woman, I felt a bit off-kilter. I didn't understand how Harding's story about a down-on-her-luck, homeless woman could possibly turn into a thriller. Even as the initial setup about the drowning woman unfolded, teeing up the domestic suspense to come, I didn't think this book would end up wowing me. Then, in a masterful stroke of plotting that completely swept the rug out from under me, Harding changed the POV of the book. Learning about the events that I'd just read from a different perspective completely blew my mind. Suddenly the true nature of this twisted story was disclosed, and the reveals didn't stop coming. I easily breezed through the latter half of the novel, blindsided by each new revelation. Yes, logical thinking derails a bit of the story, but I didn't care. I was completely sucked into this book and couldn't put it down. The plot does center around a consensual nonconsensual relationship that gets pretty dark, so be warned of the potential triggers there. Still, if you're searching for a thriller that will keep you guessing, go ahead and pick up The Drowning Woman. You won't regret it. 

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 35)

This entry was posted on Monday, July 3, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “The Drowning Woman by Robyn Harding”

  1. I am still not a fan of Covid in books, but your excitement about the way the author spun this story is infectious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read for escapism, so I'm usually with you on the no covid. In this case, though, it only mentions it in passing.

      Delete
  2. I've read a couple of virus type books since covid hit but I haven't read any with actual covid in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid isn't really a driving force in this one. It is much more of a domestic thriller than anything else.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love that the author switched the POV and totally shifted the perspective. I get excited about unexpected twists like that. Glad this was such a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It completely changed the dynamic of the story for the better. Such a twisty read!

      Delete
  4. That shift in perspective to give you the other side of things is a good twist. I like when a thriller is actually unexpected; this sounds like a very compelling read...though I' m worried it might get a little too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relationship between Hazel and her husband definitely gave me the ick, but the thriller is so good!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear you loved it. This is my July pick from Aardvark Book Club. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of discussion to be had about this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  6. I really liked this one too! I loved how everything came together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review...this one is going on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could see reading too many would make you an expert. But glad you found obe that really thrilled you

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'There's really no way things could get any worse.' -- Doesn't sound like the life-outlook of someone who lived through 2020, though; things can *always* get worse! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? This poor woman really had rotten luck, but it made for a great thriller!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.