Mister Magic by Kiersten White

Let's journey back to our childhood memories. Do you recall that one show that captured your heart and brought you comfort? For me, it was Barney, the friendly purple dinosaur, who had me glued to the screen. From VHS tapes to public broadcasting, the show was a cultural juggernaut in children's programming. Even after three decades, the fond memories of Barney still linger. In Kiersten White's latest novel Mister Magic, the notion of a beloved children's show takes a chilling turn, creating a thought-provoking allegory that is certain to captivate readers.

Decades after a tragic incident halted production of the popular children's show Mister Magic, the surviving members of the cast, known as the Circle of Friends, have strived to move forward. Try as they might, they can't put those memories behind them. They join the devoted fans who hold onto the show's teachings.  They long for the happiness, camaraderie, and comforting protection of the mysterious Mister Magic. With no surviving footage, production details, or information about the host's true identity, their memories are their only tether to the past.

Val doesn't even have the memories anymore. She's lived on a ranch with her father for several years and has no recollection of her time spent as part of the final cast of Mister Magic. In a twist of fate, she is reunited with the remaining five surviving cast members. As the only keepers of the circle's secrets, the truth behind the mysterious figure in the boundless black cape, and the events leading to the fatal final day, the Circle of Friends embarks on a journey to reclaim their shared history. Yet, with each revelation, they question whether they are drawn by choice or a more nefarious force. What is the true purpose of their reunion?

I was a latecomer to the buzz surrounding Kiersten White, finally delving into her novel Hide just a few weeks ago. While I was drawn to the setting and concept of that book, I felt that its narrative threads didn't fully weave together. Still, I eagerly embraced the opportunity to explore more of the author's work when her publisher offered me a copy of Mister Magic. White immediately presents an intriguing puzzle about the show's reality, leaving even its participants uncertain of its intricacies. By rendering the protagonist equally unaware of the mystery, we experience the joy of uncovering each revelation alongside her. White skillfully steers the narrative into increasingly shadowy depths, prompting us to question the veracity of the unfolding events. As the true secrets emerge, we realize that this isn't merely an exhilarating read, but also a thought-provoking reflection on childhood, authority, and indoctrination. A brief author's note at the book's conclusion unveils White's personal inspiration, further enriching the already intricate tale. I found myself utterly captivated by this novel and eagerly anticipate whatever creative marvel White conjures next.

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 48)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

21 Responses to “Mister Magic by Kiersten White”

  1. It's great you had an open mind and gave White another try. Sounds like this was an excellent read for you. My daughter was a HUGE Barney fan. He was even the 2nd birthday party entertainment. (I loved Captain Kangaroo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had a Barney birthday cake haha. My parents also were Captain Kangaroo fans, though it never really landed for my generation. I loved how this book took that sense of nostalgia we feel for the shows we watched and completely turned it on its head. It makes for a compelling and twisted read!

      Delete
  2. We never got Barney here. But we did have a bear with a pet snail
    Awww loved him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of this review may be me getting to learn about everyone's childhood show. The bear and pet snail sound delightful!

      Delete
  3. I love placing a sinister premise against the backdrop of something seemingly innocent like a children's show. Somehow it amps up the creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It plays with nostalgia and expectation to a terrifying effect!

      Delete
  4. This does sound like a chilling premise! I've read one book by White, years ago. It was a YA and I wasn't aware she was writing adult thrillers. I'll look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that she's taken such a shift in what she writes, but it seems to be really working for her!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like this one is a better book than Hide, though I did enjoy reading that one. And when I was a kid, I loved Mr. Rogers...and The Muppet Show. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emotional parts of this one landed better than Hide did for me. I loved Mr. Rogers too! It is so cool how some of these shows made an impact across different generations.

      Delete
  6. I have this on audio and look forward to listening! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched barney with my daughter. I watched Captain Kangaroo as a kid but my favorite show was Wizards and Warriors when I was about 13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Wizards and Warriors, but Barney seems to be a universal one for my generation.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed this one and I think that looking back a few weeks later I may even appreciated it more. The author's note was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was already enamored with it as I read it, but her author's note is like the cherry on top. It makes it such a deeply personal work.

      Delete
  9. OMG I NEED THIS. I was disappointed by Hide, but loved her Buffy duology, which I thought I would hate but ended up really loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is much better than Hide. That one never delivered on the promise of the premise, but this one works on multiple levels!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. Hide could have been fantastic, but fell so flat. I am currently #28 on 8 copies. Hopefully I get it soon!

      Delete
    3. You'll probably get it just in time for spooky season!

      Delete
    4. I am now number 15 on 10 copies, I think you are right!! So excited.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.