The Celebrants by Steven Rowley

When you think about summer reading, death probably isn't one of the first subjects to come to mind. The last thing I want to consider in my escapism summer reads is my mortality. Leave it to author Steven Rowley to change my mind. His latest, The Celebrants, tells the story of a group of college friends who come together to celebrate the lives of each other whenever they need a pick me up. Rowley imbues the work with heart and wit, a winning combination for an emotional and engaging summer read. 

The novel follows five friends who bonded early on in their college years. Weeks before their graduation, a sixth friend suddenly passed away. Grappling with their grief, the friends lamented that their late cohort never got to hear from them how much they loved and appreciated him. They were determined not to let any remaining friend go without that love, so they made a unique pact. Each person could call upon the others to come together and give them their funeral while they were still alive. 

In the following decades, they faced failed marriages, the death of family members, and even the admittance of white-collared crime. No matter the event that spurs the call, the group dutifully came together in Big Sur to celebrate their friend's life during their time in need. These living funerals became a cornerstone of their friendship, a pact that ensured the longevity of their collective relationship. Now they are called together again to celebrate the life of one of "The Jordans," a gay couple who is facing a private crisis of their own. The secret they hold may very well mean the end of their pact. 

I went into The Celebrants blindly, deciding to read it based solely on the popularity of Steven Rowley's previous novel, The Guncle. As the novel began, I was worried that the subject matter may be too sad to endure. I shouldn't have worried. Rowley's deft hands balance the work's heavier emotional moments with a lighthearted humor that brings levity to the story. The book is ultimately a celebration. It celebrates friendship, love, and, yes, even death. The full gamut of life is captured in the pages of the work. Like life, the book doesn't follow a neat path to its conclusion. Instead, we witness the good and bad times, the neat and messy moments that make up a well-lived life. I couldn't help but reflect on my own life and the people who make living it all the richer. 

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads.  

(2023, 45)

This entry was posted on Monday, August 7, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

10 Responses to “The Celebrants by Steven Rowley”

  1. Is it wrong that this book was all about the Jordans for me? Their storyline really touched me, though the whole concept of people gathering to remind you how much you are loved and how important you are is something special. I liked this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely carry much of the emotional weight of the book. I kind of wish the others were either given as much depth or kept out of the way. Either way, this one is a solid 4 star read for me!

      Delete
  2. I liked the way that this book dealt with mortality. It was easy to like this group of characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The idea of the pact keeping a friend group together over all that time really resonated with me.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review, I love an author who can touch on emotional subjects while allowing the reading to embrace life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. This was my first read by Rowley, but it won't be my last!

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear that the author managed to touch on a weighty topic without making it a depressing read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't have been easy to find that balance, but he certainly did it with ease!

      Delete
  5. Sam (WLABB) has raved about both The Guncle and this one, so both have been on my radar for a while. I'm glad you shared your review and reminded me that I need to pick these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Her reviews were some of the first I read that made me add both titles to my TBR. I need to read The Guncle next!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.