A Haunting on the Hill by Elizabeth Hand

October has finally arrived, bringing along a fresh collection of horror novels. While I'm a horror enthusiast all year round, there's an undeniable allure to the genre during this month. There's something about the cool breeze wafting through open windows, a hefty mug of steaming coffee, and a spine-chilling read that I simply can't resist. Kicking off my month of eerie reads is a gift from my friends at Mulholland Books. A Haunting on the Hill by Elizabeth Hand draws inspiration from Shirley Jackson's iconic The Haunting of Hill House. It not only expands upon the legacy of Jackson's classic but also transports its terror into the modern day.

Holly Sherwin, a struggling playwright, appears to have reconciled herself to her status as a washed-up has-been, spending her days as a teacher. Decades have passed since she last experienced the fulfillment of meaningful work, and even her most successful play was borrowed from another's story. However, a glimmer of inspiration emerges within Holly when she stumbles upon the text of an ancient play dating back centuries that captures her imagination. Although the archaic writing is unsuitable for modern times, the themes of witchcraft and hauntings that saturate its pages resonate with her creative spirit. Fueled by a newfound passion she hasn't felt in years, Holly embarks on a mission to resurrect this age-old play and breathe fresh life into it.

Holly's efforts bear fruit when she secures a $10,000 grant to dedicate herself fully to her new project. During a trip upstate, she stumbles upon Hill House, an imposing and decrepit gothic mansion hidden away in a remote village. The mansion's grandeur and eerie ambiance captivate Holly instantly, and the sheer size of the building makes it the perfect place to develop and rehearse her play. Despite her own reservations, Holly persuades her girlfriend, Nisa, to join her in renting the house for a month. Soon, a troupe of actors, each bearing their own ghosts and baggage, arrives to participate. As they settle into the mansion, its peculiarities begin to manifest. Strange creatures stalk the grounds, unsettling sounds reverberate through the halls, and time itself appears to warp and shift. Before long, Holly and her friends find themselves at odds with each other and in a strange and eerie battle against the house itself.

I haven't had the opportunity to read Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, so I can't provide a direct comparison with this new interpretation. Nevertheless, as an ardent horror reader, I can offer my perspective on the novel as a standalone work. Elizabeth Hand skillfully establishes the atmosphere for her terrifying tale, immersing the initial passages in an unsettling ambiance that conveys a palpable sense of impending dread. There's a meta aspect to the narrative as the protagonist endeavors to modernize a classic play, mirroring the author's attempt to provide a fresh perspective on a renowned novel. By anchoring the novel's foundation in a classic legend, even one of fiction, Hand imbues the story with a historical backdrop that heightens the impact of the chilling events that unfold.

I found it somewhat challenging to connect with the characters, particularly because none of them came across as particularly virtuous. Each character seemed driven by their own self-serving motives. Despite this, the titular hauntings that intensified as the story progressed provided a compelling driver, keeping me eagerly turning the pages. All told A Haunting on the Hill marks a chilling initiation to what promises to be a delightfully terrifying month of reading.

For more information visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 62)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

26 Responses to “A Haunting on the Hill by Elizabeth Hand”

  1. It is a good time of year for a spooky story. And Jackson's novel is a classic. I read it years ago, and have seen several movie versions of it. It's fun that Hand is sort of updating it in her own book. It sounds like she gets that eerie atmosphere of the house and impending sense of dread just right. This one's on my TBR list. Great review, Ethan! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on the head. She has all the right vibes in this one!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like the perfect book to kick-off the spooky season. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! All the right vibes for the season!

      Delete
  3. The meta aspect is interesting! I tend to need to connect with my characters more though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I feel like that element really elevated the work. It made it more self aware.

      Delete
  4. I don't read horror (at all), but I usually need to connect with my characters and want to root for them. Though, I can think of a few books with great plots that made me forget I hated every character. It does sound like the author did an amazing job creating this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in this one left me wanting more, but the atmosphere was perfection!

      Delete
  5. This is definitely a good time of year for some spooky reads. I don't read a lot of horror anymore but I still watch a lot of horror movies this time of year. This sounds like it was a good book to read this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the perfect way to kick off the month. I've got some other genres to mix in, but I hope to mostly focus on horror!

      Delete
  6. Even with characters that aren't necessarily likable, this sounds like such an entertaining, atmospheric read. And just the right time of year for it. I always appreciate when an author can deliver that sense of growing dread - when you're just waiting for something terrible to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how this one unfolds. I couldn't help but turn to the next page!

      Delete
  7. I can no longer tolerate truly thriller/horror novels, but I do like creepy vibes and intense suspense, and I agree, this month is great for those kind of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we need to find you something with the right vibes but no actual horror. I'm thinking Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman might be the right fit!

      Delete
  8. Shirley Jackson is fantastic and I enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House, so I am curious about the similarities and contrast. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to circle back to the Shirley Jackson book now!

      Delete
  9. There is something magnetic about a spooky old house, right? I haven't read Shirley Jackson's book either, but I should make it a goal seeing how popular it is. This sounds like a great one for this time of year despite the unlikable characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a classic trope for a reason, and it works really well in this one!

      Delete
  10. I did not enjoy Jackson's book at all but I am hoping this will be a win. I am on the wait list at the library now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought that might be the case. it seems like Blogger has *mostly* fixed the spam issue. For a while almost all of yours and CK's comments, and a lot of Greg's too, were going to spam and you three are the ones I interact with the most! But now it is random comments getting flagged as spam from things posted three years ago or more. I am so confused.

      Delete
    2. It does seem to have become a problem more recently. I've had to train myself to go check the spam list to make sure none of my friends are there!

      Delete
  11. I left a comment a few days ago but maybe it disappeared or got sent to spam? That's still happening on my blog, though far less often than before. I am in the queue for this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a mixed bag for me. I loved the atmosphere but hated the characters.

      Delete
    2. If other things are wins for me, I can overlook characters I hate - usually. So if the atmosphere worked for you, I may still give it a try. There's something delightful about bad things happening to characters I dislike...

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.