Road of Bones by Christopher Golden

Exploring the shelves at my local library, I aimed to discover a chilling read suitable for the current season. Christopher Golden's name immediately captured my attention as an author I recognized but had yet to read. The eerie cover of Road of Bones seemed like a promising introduction to his writing. At just 228 pages, I deemed it a manageable choice to give his work a try. Upon completing the book, I had mixed feelings about the overall experience. Nevertheless, I can clearly see why Golden has earned his reputation as a popular horror author.

Golden places his novel within a haunting real-world setting. Stretching more than 1200 miles through Siberia, the Kolyma Highway, known as the Road of Bones, exposes travelers to frigid winter temperatures plummeting as low as sixty degrees below zero. In the era of Stalin, this route saw the construction of over eighty Soviet gulags, forming a workforce for the USSR. Tragically, the relentless toil claimed the lives of innumerable prisoners. Their bodies were laid to rest beneath the road's surface, concealed by the unyielding permafrost. This bleak backdrop becomes the stage for Golden's unfolding fiction.

We are introduced to Teig and Prentiss, a documentary producer and his cameraman. Their sights are locked onto the infamous Road of Bones, a location ripe for their reality show concoction—blending historical truth with manufactured intrigue for maximum impact. Accompanied by a local Yakut guide, they venture towards Oymyakon, Earth's coldest settlement. Upon arrival, an ominous sight awaits. The abandoned town is frozen in time, its inhabitants seemingly vanished without a trace. Inexplicable footprints lead into the forest. Within one desolate house resides a traumatized 9-year-old girl, a lone witness to unfathomable horrors. As they unravel the mysteries, Teig, Prentiss, and their companions are about to unearth a terror far beyond their expectations.

From its opening pages, Christopher Golden's Road of Bones gripped my attention, transporting me to the frigid setting with a tangible chill in the air. By merging history with supernatural horror, Golden infuses his chilling tale with unsettling realism. His mastery lies in immersing readers within his characters' psyche, inviting us to experience their fear firsthand rather than by mere observation.

While the initial scenes promised a Roanoke-esque mystery, the narrative momentum waned as the story progressed. The book's brevity maintained a brisk pace yet left scant room for character growth. Consequently, forming a strong connection to any individual character proved challenging. More disconcerting, the plot's evolution shifted from a historically-infused ghostly narrative to a frosty game of cat and mouse. As I concluded the book, I remained captivated by Golden's adept prose yet disheartened by the narrative's unfulfilled potential. While I cannot offer a wholehearted recommendation for this particular book, I'm still captivated by Christopher Golden's potential as a writer. Considering the positive reception his other works have garnered from fellow readers, I'm eagerly anticipating delving into one of his alternative titles.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 66)

This entry was posted on Monday, October 16, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “Road of Bones by Christopher Golden”

  1. That premise of an abandoned town in a frigid landscape is certainly appealing; I'm sorry the rest of the story didn't match it, or I'd totally be checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a case where the opening was so good that the rest of the book never had a chance at being at the same level. Many people love his work though, so I may give another title a go.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you took a chance on the author and it didn't pay off. You are way more open minded than I am. I don't think I would try more books after a lackluster experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had multiple trusted readers tell me how much they enjoy his work, so I feel obligated to at least try one more title. I might just do an audiobook this time!

      Delete
  3. Great review! It's good that you saw potential, which gives you hope for his other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I liked the setup of this one enough that I'm going to give him one more shot!

      Delete
  4. I've heard of this author but haven't read any of his books. Sounds like this one had potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. I'm sad I didn't love it as much as I wanted to, but I'll definitely give his writing another go.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully, one of their other books will be a better fit.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that his book Ararat is much better, so I'll give that one a go at some point soon.

      Delete
  6. I was s disappointed in this one. I have loved Christopher Golden since high school. His contributions to the Buffyverse are top-notch, so I was excited to try something new outside of that. But this was not it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I decided to start his works with his dud. The others all seem to have a much more positive response.

      Delete
  7. Nice to hear the author's writing piqued your interest enough to try him again even if this particular story fell short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it a bummer when a book starts in a certain style/genre, and then totally turns the tables on you? Keeping Golden on my radar though - maybe there's a book of his that might appeal to me more somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling hopeful about his other books. The consensus seems to be that this is one of his weaker efforts.

      Delete
  9. I might wait and see what you think of his other books

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.