The Only One Left by Riley Sager

Spooky season wouldn't be complete without a fresh addition from Riley Sager to send shivers down your spine. His knack for crafting tightly woven thrillers tinged with a hint of horror has consistently captivated my imagination and evoked my deepest fears ever since I first encountered his writing in The Last Time I Lied back in 2018. Since then, I've made it a point to eagerly devour each of his new releases, with only a couple slipping through the cracks in recent years. Determined to make up for these missed opportunities, I've been patiently awaiting the arrival of his latest work, The Only One Left, courtesy of my local library. Fortunately, my hold has finally materialized just in time for the end of the month, providing the ideal moment to immerse myself in another Sager chiller. 

Embedded within the mythology of Maine is the bone-chilling saga of Lennora Hope, a tale that has gripped the imaginations of both children and adults since its sinister unfolding on a fateful night in 1929. As the lore goes, Lennora, a mere seventeen years old at the time, experienced a catastrophic unraveling of her sanity, culminating in a gruesome spree that claimed the lives of her parents and sister. Though the general consensus seems to implicate young Lennora in the tragedy, the police could never definitively establish her guilt. In the wake of the bloodshed, Lennora staunchly denied any involvement. To this day, she has neither uttered a public word about the gruesome events nor crossed the threshold of Hope's End, the cliffside mansion that became the grim stage for the massacre.

"At Hope's End, the past is always present."

Fast forward to the year 1983. Kit McDeere finds herself presented with an unexpected opportunity to resurrect a career she had believed to be permanently tarnished. Once a home health aide, Kit's professional life was marred by allegations of wrongdoing in the tragic passing of her own mother. In the twilight of a protracted battle against a grave illness, Kit was implicated in her mother's untimely demise. Now, Kit's life takes an unforeseen turn when she is entrusted with the care of local legend Lennora Hope. The task falls to her after Lennora's previous nurse abruptly departs Hopes End, abandoning her enigmatic patient and all associated responsibilities. While Kit harbors reservations about assuming this role, she has little choice. Reluctantly, she accepts the role of the primary caregiver to a woman who she suspects may be a murderer.

Upon her arrival at Hope's End, Kit is confronted by a deteriorating compound perched precariously atop a cliff, gradually inching toward the tumultuous waves below. Instead of encountering the ruthless killer that has haunted her nightmares, Kit comes face to face with a 70-year-old woman whose mobility and speech have been ravaged by a series of strokes. Lennora's communication is now restricted to simple yes or no responses and the slow typing of an antique typewriter. As Kit becomes settled into her role, she is taken aback by a note that Lennora laboriously types out for her. In an unexpected turn, Lennora divulges the full extent of her story, recounting each moment that contributed to her legendary status. As the two women embark on a journey to unearth the secrets of that fateful night, Kit begins to suspect that Lennora's narrative might be far from complete. Beneath the facade of the seemingly benign woman in her care lies the potential for hidden dangers that Kit could never have anticipated.

In The Only One Left, Riley Sager once again demonstrates his mastery of suspense, expertly manipulating our expectations and delivering unexpected twists. Set in the 1980s, the analog atmosphere intensifies the sense of dread and mystery. While I couldn't help but notice similarities to Colleen Hoover's Verity, Sager's narrative remains distinct and captivating. The eerie ambiance of the manor and the intricate storyline drew me in completely. The novel's conclusion is shocking and satisfying, making it a must-read for the spooky season. I'll be eagerly anticipating whatever chilling tale Sager comes up with next. 

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 72)


This entry was posted on Monday, October 30, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

16 Responses to “The Only One Left by Riley Sager”

  1. I really like Sager's books. I haven't read this one yet, but I'm planning on it. Glad to know it's another good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed his books too. I've missed the last couple releases, so I was glad to see this one continues his penchant for excellent storytelling with a spooky twist.

      Delete
  2. Twisty with a shocking ending, sounds like a perfect chiller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exactly what this kind of story needs to be. Makes for a quick read!

      Delete
  3. I loved this one! I still need to read his first few.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely one of my favorites from him. I need to read his first book still!

      Delete
  4. I have not had the pleasure of reading this author and added this to my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I this wasn't my favorite from Sager, I did enjoy how the story all worked out. The story was really similar to Simone St. James' The Book of Cold Cases which I liked a little more. Still, this was a fun, perfect for the season mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Lots of this one felt familiar, and I think it is because many of these thrillers seem to be playing in the same sandbox at the moment. The Last Time I Lied is still my favorite from Sager!

      Delete
  6. So many spooky books around. I am a chicken, I do confess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is more suspenseful that full on horror, so it might be a good one to explore!

      Delete
  7. I skimmed your review because I don't want to know TOO much about Sager's newest before jumping in. I'm really excited for this one, although I probably won't get to it before the new year. It sounds SO good (but it's Sager, so that's pretty much a given).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of his better books, IMO. Hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  8. I really loved this one a lot, much better than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second favorite of his books that I've read. I still want to read all the others for the sake of completion though.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.