The Spider by Lars Kepler

Lately, it seems that domestic situations dominate the landscape of popular thrillers. The recurring theme of a wife concealing secrets or a husband leading a double life seems to permeate the genre. Now, don't get me wrong, I've read and enjoyed my fair share of domestic thrillers, and some of them have even become my favorite reads. There's an undeniable allure to a classic murder mystery, though, that I find irresistible. It's the kind of story that has become noticeably less prevalent in today's most popular thriller novels.

My journey into the world of thrillers began over a decade ago when dark serial killer tales were all the rage. Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo had taken the world by storm, leading publishers to translate numerous Scandinavian crime novels into English, all in the hopes of finding the next blockbuster hit. While authors like Jo Nesbo and David Lagercrantz managed to make their mark, many others faded into obscurity. I had mostly set aside this particular thriller subgenre from my memory until my friends at Knopf Publishing sent me a copy of the latest release from the husband-and-wife writing duo Lars Kepler. The Spider, the ninth installment in their series that originated with The Hypnotist in 2009 during the height of the genre's popularity, harks back to that era with a twisted serial killer narrative that both captivates and disturbs.

Saga Bauer has taken a hiatus from her detective duties, grappling with a form of PTSD that stems from her harrowing encounter with a serial killer. During her absence, her partner Joona Linna has been handling investigations solo. Saga's time away hasn't been the healing break she had hoped for, and her return is marked by a disturbing development. A new serial killer has emerged on the streets, earning the moniker "The Spider" for their gruesome method of leaving victims suspended in plastic bags filled with acid, subjecting them to a horrifyingly slow demise. This merciless killer has escalated things further by singling out Joona as their ultimate target and delivering a chilling message that leaves no room for doubt: only Saga possesses the capability to halt this reign of terror.

The Spider delivers a level of shock and awe that may play a significant role in determining your enjoyment or decision to read this book. Kepler takes the narrative to an exceedingly dark place, featuring creatively brutal murders, unsettling sexual situations, and profound psychological trauma. While these elements serve the story, I needed to take breaks from the book on multiple occasions. Trigger warnings are abundant in this narrative.

That said, I became utterly absorbed in the mystery of uncovering the killer's identity and whether the protagonists could thwart their gruesome acts. As the pattern of the murders emerged, I read with a sense of anticipation and dread, torn between fearing what would come next and being unable to look away. Even though this is the ninth installment in a series, my lack of familiarity with the preceding books did not impede my understanding of this one. Overall, The Spider presents a twisted murder mystery that seems to belong to a different era. It is a dark and unsettling narrative that is simultaneously disturbing and enthralling.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 65)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

8 Responses to “The Spider by Lars Kepler”

  1. Sounds like you were hooked. Waaay too dark for me, but I am happy to hear you were so invested in this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to see what was going to happen next! But I understand this subject matter will simply be too much for some readers.

      Delete
  2. I read a lot of Scandinavian crime thrillers back in the day, too. But I've never read any books by this writing team. This one does sound dark, but also like one of those compelling mysteries that are hard to put down. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to get my hands on the first book to see how this all started.

      Delete
  3. I have a hard time with murders that are vividly depicted and super graphic. Pretty disturbing and they'll swirl in my brain for a long time after. Sounds like an interesting mystery, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graphic nature of this one will be the thing I fear that keeps most readers from it. It is a great mystery though!

      Delete
  4. I just do not do Nordic crime, and I could read them in their original language lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered how the english translations compare to the original language, but I totally understand skipping the genre. It is so dark!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.