The Exchange by John Grisham

My history with John Grisham's novels dates back to high school. Ever since my mother first introduced me to a stack of his legal thrillers, I've been an avid reader of his work. While I no longer rush to devour his latest releases as I once did, I always relish the opportunity to immerse myself in his storytelling when it comes my way. My excitement peaked late last month when I received an invitation from Grisham's enduring publisher, Doubleday, to read a copy of his newest book, The Exchange. This enthusiasm reached a whole new level because I knew that this book served as a sequel to his monumental bestseller, The Firm. Receiving that package with the latest Grisham novel was a highlight of my year!

In The Firm, Mitch McDeere faced a series of intense challenges and exposed the criminal activities of the Memphis law firm Bendini, Lambert & Locke. This sequel jumps ahead 15 years, allowing us to catch up with Mitch and his wife, Abby. The couple has put the traumas of Memphis behind them and now enjoys a life in New York City. They have twin boys and are thriving in their respective careers. Abby works as an editor for cookbooks, while Mitch practices law as a partner at one of the world's largest law firms. Mitch's boss requests a significant favor – he needs Mitch to travel to Rome and meet with an old mentor named Luca. One of Luca's most valuable clients has been swindled out of payment for constructing a disastrous bridge project in Libya. They want Mitch to argue the case before an arbitration board in Geneva. 

This is where our new story unfolds. Mitch accepts the case and embarks on a journey to Libya alongside Luca's daughter, Giovanna, a talented young attorney. Their objective is to visit the site firsthand. However, in a sudden turn of events, their convoy falls prey to a terrorist organization that mercilessly kills their guides, kidnaps Giovanna, and demands a staggering $100 million ransom in exchange for her safe release. Abby becomes an inadvertent intermediary, plunging Mitch and everyone he holds dear into a high-stakes pursuit to gather the entire ransom and ensure the safety of those involved.

It's been three decades since John Grisham's The Firm captivated readers. The Exchange revisits these characters only 15 years after the events of the initial book, placing them in a post-9/11 world dominated by terrorism and global uncertainties. The evolving landscape and heightened stakes in this novel might initially seem disconcerting, but Grisham's ability to keep his finger on the pulse of current events remains unmatched. Mitch McDeere retains his commitment to justice and ethical behavior. While the plot may venture into somewhat implausible territory, my engagement with the story largely overshadowed any minor reservations. Although the focus shifts away from courtroom drama to emphasize the kidnapping plot, Grisham, in his signature style, still manages to infuse the narrative with political, economic, and legal system commentary amid all the thrills.  The Exchange may not outshine its predecessor, but it still offers an enjoyable reunion with a beloved character. Grisham hints of potential future adventures for Mitch McDeere, and I wholeheartedly welcome them. The book is another solid thriller from an author who consistently excels in his craft.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 79)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

19 Responses to “The Exchange by John Grisham”

  1. A sequel to The Firm? Yes, please! I'm glad you enjoyed this story despite some of the implausibility. I can overlook things like that when the story is engaging. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very different story from the one in The Firm, so that can be kind of jarring. I still enjoyed getting to reconnect with the characters though.

      Delete
  2. I've never read one of his books but I have watched a lot of his movies based on books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grisham is a pretty reliable author for me. I'm rarely disappointed in his books.

      Delete
  3. I loved The Firm so much I've hesitated to read this one; sometimes sequels to favorite books can be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had to separate my love for the first book from reading this one. It is quite different, and that caught me off guard. It isn't as good as The Firm, but it is a fun, legacy sequel, kind of akin to Top Gun and the sequel to that one.

      Delete
  4. I watched The Firm but so long ago that I don't remember it well. I'd like to read it someday. Was the book is better than the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is different from the movie, if I remember correctly. It has been so long since I read it, that I can't say for sure. Maybe it is time for a reread!

      Delete
  5. I have only read Grisham's nonfiction title. I really do need to give more of his books a try. I am glad that this one delivered for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember enjoying The Innocent Man. If you liked that one, you'll definitely enjoy his fiction too!

      Delete
  6. I loved the Firm, so this will happen eventually. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nearly impossible task to followup such a successful hit. This one doesn't quite meet that high watermark, but it was still a fun read.

      Delete
  7. Wow! A follow up to The Firm. Sounds like it was a good, heart-pounding return to this world. I always question the motivation for reviving a character after so long (it's money, let's be honest), but I am happy when the author does right by the character and their fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Grisham would be the first to admit he's in the business to sell books haha. I've always appreciated his candor about the business!

      Delete
  8. It's awesome that you were invited to read this sequel from an author you love. I'm not much into procedurals (though I love them on TV - think Law & Order), but it sounds like this one ventured on a different path...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting change of pace for the characters!

      Delete
  9. Ohh new stuff! I started reading him in HS too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to reconnect. Made me want to dig into more of his books!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.