Tom Lake by Anne Patchett

“The stories that are familiar will always be our favorites.”

As part of my ongoing mission to discover new authors, I've turned my attention to Anne Patchett, an author I've been aware of for some time but have never had the chance to read. Her latest work, Tom Lake, has garnered attention in the literary world. This novel combines elements from the classic play Our Town with a contemporary exploration of a family's history during the COVID-19 lockdowns. While familiarity with Our Town isn't essential to comprehend this book, it can certainly enhance one's appreciation of Patchett's captivating storytelling.

Lara's promising acting career began unexpectedly when she couldn't resist stepping onto the stage during auditions for a community production of Our Town. She secured the role of Emily and believed it would be the start of her thriving career. Her journey, however, took a different turn. Lara ventured to Los Angeles for a film role that promised stardom but found herself stuck in limbo due to post-production delays. Desperate to keep her momentum alive, she joined a summer theater group in Michigan, where she shared the stage and a passionate romance with Peter Duke. Duke eventually became a household name, but Lara's path diverged significantly.

Fast forward to the year 2020, when Lara, now married with three grown daughters, finds herself quarantined in her Michigan cherry orchard due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The family is brought together under one roof, tending to the farm and sharing stories during their confinement. Lara's daughters are particularly fascinated by her summer fling with the famous actor, Peter Duke. With ample time to reminisce, Lara reluctantly agrees to recount the story of that transformative summer, revealing a side of herself that her daughters had never fully known.

Tom Lake offers a remarkable exploration of youthful love, ambition, and the enduring power of family. Although the novel unfolds during the pandemic, it avoids being categorized as a typical "COVID novel." Instead, Anne Patchett uses this unique moment in time as a backdrop to unite her characters and encourage them to share their stories. The book highlights the contrasting priorities between Lara's carefree young adulthood and her children's heightened concern for the state of the world and their roles within it. The work prompted me to reflect on my own life, my relationships, my achievements, and my apprehensions about the future. Patchett's characters come alive in a subtly impactful way, and the integration of Our Town adds depth to the narrative. Regardless of your familiarity with the play, I think you'll have no difficulty connecting with this story. Tom Lake stands as exemplary character-driven fiction and serves as an excellent introduction to Anne Patchett's writing.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 75)


This entry was posted on Sunday, November 5, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

8 Responses to “Tom Lake by Anne Patchett”

  1. I love when a book makes you stop and think about your own life and choices! I've read a few books by Patchett that I liked, but I haven't read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. This one was executed effortlessly. It just feels like real life, and I couldn't help but reflect on all the topics that it contemplates. I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I also really liked this book and was happy that it was a Covid book where they lamented too much about the virus. I went 4.5/5 because Lara did something towards the end of the book that didn't fit her character (in my opinion). I feel like it was stuck in there so that certain issues could make their way into the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair. The ending does have some issues, but I was so captivated by it all that I didn't care!

      Delete
  3. Yours is another in a long line of glowing reviews I've seen for this book. I haven't read or seen Our Town, but it sounds like that doesn't matter too much. I'm going to have to pick this one up. It sounds like one I'd like. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a great read! There's a simplicity to it all that makes it deceptively moving.

      Delete
  4. I am unsure if I have ever read her.
    Heard of her? obviously.
    But read...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.